With an address in Providence, Rhode Island, Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of six available nursing homes in the area. Featuring an overall score of A, this is clearly a top-shelf nursing home. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we rated it substantially ahead of most of the nursing homes in Providence. Finally, this appears to be a very consistent nursing home with consistent scores in all four of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
225 Elmwood Avenue,
Providence RI 02907
82.71% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Unfortunately, it does not look like we were able to find information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many dominant scores, this nursing home was given a strong long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 99.51691 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a top-shelf short-term care grade. This actually ended up being this nursing home's third most impressive category score. In that area, this facility received a grade of A-. In forming these short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Switching gears to the final area, this nursing home also performed well in the nursing category. We awarded it an A- in this category. This topped off a straight A report card. We weighed the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses worked with residents, in determining our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.02% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 93.99% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.08% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.94 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 77.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 0.73 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.96 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 3.14 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.47 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.7 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.3 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Dialysis Center of Providence0.22 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence2.63 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital2.98 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.33 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence3.71 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Johnston4.19 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Davita North Providence Renal Center4.24 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Nna - Pawtucket5.18 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995