Elmwood Care Center is a nursing home in Berkeley, California, a city with a total of 118,592 people. Featuring an overall rating of B, we deemed this nursing home as one of the top three facilities in the city. An overall score in this range is a reliable indication of a very good nursing home. In our view, this place is a solid choice for quite a few people. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Elmwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2829 Shattuck Avenue,
Berkeley CA 94705
93.24% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Not many nursing homes fared better in this area. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This place received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we rated this nursing home so well is that it received a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, short-term care is its second best category score. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmwood Care Center?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing scores are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this nursing home really did not perform well. With a rock bottom grade of F in that area, this was obviously its weakest grade. For patients seeking a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. One of the data points we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 97.333336 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmwood Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who suffer from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that experienced a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who have experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmwood Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmwood Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmwood Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmwood Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmwood Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmwood Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmwood Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmwood Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmwood Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Berkeley, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Berkeley, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.39 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.23 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.26 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.36 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Rai Piedmont1.42 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.44 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.46 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Peralta2.81 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center5 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590