Elmwood Care Center is a nursing home in Berkeley, California, a city with a total of 118,592 people. We gave this nursing home a B- overall, which is a solid grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Berkeley, which is a B. At the end of the day, this facility is a good fit for quite a few people. The best part of this nursing home's profile was its exemplary inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Elmwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in that category with an A. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to point out that this facility received positive short-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our higher scores in this category, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's second strongest grade. Our short-term care scores are probably more important for individuals in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. It does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we considered in this area is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmwood Care Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed is long-term care, which was this facility's worst category. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is clearly a major disappointment. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 97.297295 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmwood Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that have suffered falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmwood Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmwood Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmwood Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmwood Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmwood Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmwood Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmwood Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmwood Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmwood Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Berkeley, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Berkeley, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.39 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.23 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.26 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.36 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Rai Piedmont1.42 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.44 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.46 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Peralta2.81 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center5 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590