Elmwood Care Center is a nursing home in Berkeley, California, a city with a total of 118,592 people. It looks like this is a very respectable nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. At the end of the day, this facility is a solid choice for quite a few people. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its short-term care score, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elmwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Berkeley senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this facility excelled in the area of short-term care, where it earned a grade of A. Few facilities fared better in this category. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This facility also performed well in inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. It received one of our highest scores in that area with an A-. Few facilities with an overall grade in this range performed this well in multiple categories. Our inspection ratings are based on pieces of information found on the a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmwood Care Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. In computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are with patients as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving patients even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a D in our long-term care category, making this its weakest category grade. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 97.75281 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmwood Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmwood Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmwood Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmwood Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmwood Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmwood Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmwood Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Elmwood Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmwood Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmwood Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmwood Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.39 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.23 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.26 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.36 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Rai Piedmont1.42 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.44 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.46 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Peralta2.81 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center5 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590