Elms Haven Center is a senior living facility located in Thornton, Colorado. This city has a population of 31,746 people. This facility is a subpar facility. A score in this range suggests we found some red flags. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Thornton. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elms Haven Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Elms Haven Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Thornton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall score is not a highlight, it actually received a slightly more favorable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for this area, which is a decent score. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a low total compared with most other nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Elms Haven Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a decent grade in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation To provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last item we considered in this area is the number of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care, which is a low point for this facility. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D for our long-term care category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home did not perform well in our measures relating to patient care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 93.66085 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be a few points below what we were hoping for but still a respectable percentage. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elms Haven Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elms Haven Center, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elms Haven Center, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elms Haven Center, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elms Haven Center, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elms Haven Center, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elms Haven Center, 3.91% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elms Haven Center, 84.62% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elms Haven Center, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elms Haven Center, 16.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Elms Haven Center, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elms Haven Center, 16.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elms Haven Center, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elms Haven Center, 76.2% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- St Anthony North Health CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away14300 Orchard Pkwy Broomfield Colorado 80023Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 627-0000
- North Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away9191 Grant St Denver Colorado 80229Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 451-7800
- Uchealth Broomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away11820 Destination Drive Broomfield Colorado 80021Proprietary(303) 460-6000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away200 Exempla Circle Lafayette Colorado 80026Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 689-4000
- Platte Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away1600 Prairie Center Pkwy Brighton Colorado 80601Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 498-1601
- Centura Health-Avista Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away100 Health Park Dr Louisville Colorado 80027Voluntary non-profit - Church(303) 673-1280
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- North Metro Denver Dialysis (Dva)3.25 miles away12365 Huron St Ste 500 Denver Colorado 80234Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 451-9093
- Kidney Center of Northridge (Ara)3.82 miles away1865 W 121st Ave, Ste 300c Denver Colorado 80234Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 429-9550
- Thornton Dialysis (Dva)5.06 miles away8800 Fox Dr Denver Colorado 80260CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 430-7020
- Thornton Kidney Center LLC (Ara)5.08 miles away8451 Pearl Street Denver Colorado 80229Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 227-9981
- Kidney Center of Westminster (Ara)6.46 miles away8410 Decatur St Ste 200 Westminster Colorado 80031CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 430-6518
- Platte Valley Dialysis7.16 miles away1321 S 4th Ave Suite 100 Brighton Colorado 80601Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 654-8202
- Commerce City Dialysis (Dva)7.26 miles away6320 Holly St Commerce City Colorado 80022CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 853-4300
- Kidney Center of Lafayette (Ara)9.73 miles away2655 Crescent Dr Ste C Lafayette Colorado 80026CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (720) 890-4661