Elms Haven Center is a senior living facility located in Thornton, Colorado. This city has a population of 31,746 people. This facility is a subpar facility. A score in this range suggests we found some red flags. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Thornton. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Elms Haven Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Elms Haven Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score wasn't a highlight, it actually received a decent grade in nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category. When determining our nursing scores, we look at both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day, which is a very low figure. Lastly, our nursing scores also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more respectable category grades came in the area of short-term care. This proved to be its second most respectable category. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to craft a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final measure we looked at in this category is the number of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Elms Haven Center?
This nursing home received mediocre inspections in recent years. We gave them a grade of C in this category. Our inspection grades are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This indicates it avoided the more serious categories of deficiencies. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area was long-term care, which is the final category we looked at. In this category, we gave this facility a grade of D. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. After considering the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 96.56947 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elms Haven Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elms Haven Center, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elms Haven Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elms Haven Center, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who had a urinary tract infection. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elms Haven Center, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elms Haven Center, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elms Haven Center, 3.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elms Haven Center, 84.99% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elms Haven Center, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elms Haven Center, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Elms Haven Center, 1.08 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elms Haven Center, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elms Haven Center, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elms Haven Center, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- St Anthony North Health CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away14300 Orchard Pkwy Broomfield Colorado 80023Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 627-0000
- North Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away9191 Grant St Denver Colorado 80229Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 451-7800
- Uchealth Broomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away11820 Destination Drive Broomfield Colorado 80021Proprietary(303) 460-6000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away200 Exempla Circle Lafayette Colorado 80026Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 689-4000
- Platte Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away1600 Prairie Center Pkwy Brighton Colorado 80601Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 498-1601
- Centura Health-Avista Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away100 Health Park Dr Louisville Colorado 80027Voluntary non-profit - Church(303) 673-1280
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- North Metro Denver Dialysis (Dva)3.25 miles away12365 Huron St Ste 500 Denver Colorado 80234Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 451-9093
- Kidney Center of Northridge (Ara)3.82 miles away1865 W 121st Ave, Ste 300c Denver Colorado 80234Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 429-9550
- Thornton Dialysis (Dva)5.06 miles away8800 Fox Dr Denver Colorado 80260CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 430-7020
- Thornton Kidney Center LLC (Ara)5.08 miles away8451 Pearl Street Denver Colorado 80229Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 227-9981
- Kidney Center of Westminster (Ara)6.46 miles away8410 Decatur St Ste 200 Westminster Colorado 80031CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 430-6518
- Platte Valley Dialysis7.16 miles away1321 S 4th Ave Suite 100 Brighton Colorado 80601Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 654-8202
- Commerce City Dialysis (Dva)7.26 miles away6320 Holly St Commerce City Colorado 80022CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 853-4300
- Kidney Center of Lafayette (Ara)9.73 miles away2655 Crescent Dr Ste C Lafayette Colorado 80026CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (720) 890-4661