Elmhurst Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in East Elmhurst, New York. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some respectable scores. Based on our assessment, there are definitely much worse facilities out there. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elmhurst Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on East Elmhurst senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a positive grade in our long-term care category. We gave this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 84.47607 percent of its patients. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmhurst Care Center?
This facility earned a very good nursing score as well. It received one of our higher scores in that category with a F. When determining our nursing grades, we assess both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This place offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This statistic is far below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest category was short-term care, which is the last category we assessed. We gave it an F in this category. Even with multiple solid grades in other categories, this score is still disappointing so we felt obligated to make a note of it. Short-term care ratings are important for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its score in this area, we were not stunned to find that this place was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the figures we looked at. The final measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.2 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmhurst Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmhurst Care Center, 12.46% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmhurst Care Center, 0.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmhurst Care Center, 2.31% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmhurst Care Center, 15.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmhurst Care Center, 14.6% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmhurst Care Center, 89.74% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmhurst Care Center, 11.73% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmhurst Care Center, 4.86% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Elmhurst Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmhurst Care Center, 4.86% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmhurst Care Center, 9.36% of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmhurst Care Center, 79.27% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.95 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.99 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home1.21 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center1.28 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Rogosin Institute-Queens2.1 miles away66-20 Queens Boulevard Dialysis Ctr. Woodside New York 11377CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-7505
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center2.27 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.46 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- Newtown Dialysis Center, Inc2.63 miles away29-20 Newtown Ave. Astoria New York 11102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 728-2222
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens2.78 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Astoria Dialysis Center3 miles away34-01 35th Avenue Astoria New York 11106CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 707-9988