Elmhurst Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in East Elmhurst, New York. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some respectable scores. Based on our assessment, there are definitely much worse facilities out there. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Elmhurst Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a positive grade in our long-term care category. We gave this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this category. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 97.85933 percent of its patients. This is a great way to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Elmhurst Care Center?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing rating. In fact, we gave this nursing home an impressive grade of D. The nursing grade weighs many subcategories, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was short-term care. Sadly, it received an F in this category, which is a rock bottom score. This is certainly a major disappointment. Our short-term care grades are based on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. With a grade this poor for this area, we weren't shocked to learn that this place was well below average in two of the key staffing metrics we assess. In fact, it supplied substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 1.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elmhurst Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elmhurst Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elmhurst Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents which had a fall which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elmhurst Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elmhurst Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elmhurst Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term patients that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elmhurst Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elmhurst Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elmhurst Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elmhurst Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Elmhurst Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elmhurst Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elmhurst Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elmhurst Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.95 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.99 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home1.21 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center1.28 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Rogosin Institute-Queens2.1 miles away66-20 Queens Boulevard Dialysis Ctr. Woodside New York 11377CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-7505
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center2.27 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.46 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- Newtown Dialysis Center, Inc2.63 miles away29-20 Newtown Ave. Astoria New York 11102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 728-2222
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens2.78 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Astoria Dialysis Center3 miles away34-01 35th Avenue Astoria New York 11106CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 707-9988