Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center is located in Schenectady, New York, a city with 162,643 people. It looks like this nursing home is among the better nursing homes we assessed. A grade of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all facilities in the United States. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Schenectady senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Schenectady, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Schenectady, New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Schenectady, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this place an A+ for our inspection category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. There are a host of datapoints included in this area. Most of these subcategories relate to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given a strong short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that category with a grade of B+. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is this facility's poorest category. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still gave it a decent grade of B- for long-term care. Long-term care grades are crucial for patients looking for non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 96.5 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable total. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term patients which experienced falls resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 13.75% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 90.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Ellis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.98 miles away1101 Nott Street Schenectady New York 12308Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 243-4000
- St Peter's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.61 miles away315 South Manning Boulevard Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 525-1550
- Albany Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.35 miles away600 Northern Boulevard Albany New York 12204Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 471-3490
- Samaritan Hospital-St Mary's CampusAcute Care Hospitals 12.73 miles away1300 Massachusetts Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 268-5000
- Albany Medical Center HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away43 New Scotland Avenue, Mail Code 34 Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 262-2400
- Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away2215 Burdett Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 427-3402
- St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 18.09 miles away427 Guy Park Avenue Amsterdam New York 12010Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 841-7101
- Four Winds of SaratogaPsychiatric 18.94 miles away30 Crescent Ave Saratoga Springs New York 12866Proprietary(518) 584-3600
- Fms-Capital District Dialysis Center0.21 miles away650 Mcclellan Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 382-0202
- Schenectady Partners LLC1.37 miles away1594 State Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 382-5309
- Fms-Niskayuna Dialysis Center1.48 miles away2345 Nott Street East Schenectady New York 12309Dialysis Stations: 12 (518) 346-5186
- Freedom Center of Westmere8.05 miles away178 Washington Ave Extension Suite 3 Albany New York 12203Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 407-0505
- Dci - Rubin Dialysis Centers - Clifton Park8.12 miles away21 Crossing Boulevard Clifton Park New York 12065CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (518) 831-6700
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc.8.12 miles away176 Washington Ave Extension Albany New York 12203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (518) 456-2429
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.8.18 miles away30 Century Hill Dr Latham New York 12110Dialysis Stations: 12 (518) 783-1316
- Fms-Albany Dialysis Center12.47 miles away64 Albany Shaker Road Albany New York 12204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 427-0473