Elkhart Meadows is located in Elkhart, Indiana. This nursing home proved to be a well above average facility, with an overall grade of B+. In fact, this turned out to be better than most of the nursing homes in Elkhart. Fortunately, this facility didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better scores in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also earned a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this category. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to avoid negative health outcomes for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Elkhart Meadows?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. The nursing rating is based on several components, however, the primary one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning a resident more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last area, this facility was given a decent short-term care rating. Even though this was not nearly as good as some of its other scores, this is truly a middle of the pack score. In computing our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This score is more often than not a meaningful measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last measure we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elkhart Meadows Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elkhart Meadows, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elkhart Meadows, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that had falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elkhart Meadows, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elkhart Meadows, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elkhart Meadows, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elkhart Meadows, 12.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elkhart Meadows, 91.48% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elkhart Meadows, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elkhart Meadows, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Elkhart Meadows, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elkhart Meadows, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Scores for Elkhart, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Elkhart, Indiana has 7 other nursing homes
- Elkhart General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away600 E Blvd Elkhart Indiana 46514Government - Local(574) 294-2621
- Goshen General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away200 High Park Ave Goshen Indiana 46526Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 364-1000
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away5215 Holy Cross Pkwy Mishawaka Indiana 46545Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 335-5000
- Memorial Hospital of South BendAcute Care Hospitals 15 miles away615 N Michigan St South Bend Indiana 46601Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 647-1000
- Community Hospital of Bremen IncCritical Access Hospitals 17.44 miles away1020 High Rd Bremen Indiana 46506Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 546-2211
- Fmc - Nephrology - Elkhart0.61 miles away700 Waterbury Park Drive Elkhart Indiana 46517CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (574) 294-4444
- Davita - Elkhart3.09 miles away1401 N Michigan St Elkhart Indiana 46514Dialysis Stations: 12 (574) 262-5295
- Fmc - Nephrology - Home10.43 miles away250 E. Day Road, Suite 300 Mishawaka Indiana 46545Dialysis Stations: 2 (574) 273-6777
- Fmc - Nephrology - Goshen10.63 miles away2257 Karisa Drive, Suite 1 Goshen Indiana 46526Dialysis Stations: 25 (574) 533-9031
- Fmc - Nephrology - Mishawaka11.51 miles away710 Park Place Mishawaka Indiana 46545CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (574) 273-6776
- Davita - Irish Dialysis13.17 miles away4350 South Ironwood Dr South Bend Indiana 46614Dialysis Stations: 20 (574) 299-4529
- Fmc - South Bend Dialysis14.7 miles away320 South Street South Bend Indiana 46601Dialysis Stations: 17 (574) 246-0752
- Davita - Dialysis South Bend West19.53 miles away5660 Nimtz Pkwy South Bend Indiana 46628Dialysis Stations: 12 (574) 234-8870