Elkhart Meadows is one of eight available nursing homes located in Elkhart, Indiana. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is a very strong rating. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we rated it substantially ahead of the vast majority of the nursing homes in Elkhart. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2600 Morehouse Ave,
Elkhart IN 46517
90.17% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we gave this facility an A-. The nursing grade assesses a handful of components, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided 3.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility excelled in these areas, with excellent scores for minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Does this page answer your questions about Elkhart Meadows?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded it an above average score of B+ in this category. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a great way to minimize unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was short-term care. This facility was given an impressive short-term care rating this year, with a grade of B-. While this wasn't as good as some of its other category grades, this is still a decent grade for that area. In our short-term care category, we strive to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elkhart Meadows Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elkhart Meadows, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elkhart Meadows, 3.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elkhart Meadows, 1.95% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elkhart Meadows, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elkhart Meadows, 21.53% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elkhart Meadows, 12.55% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elkhart Meadows, 91.52% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elkhart Meadows, 16.15% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elkhart Meadows, 17.47% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Elkhart Meadows, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elkhart Meadows, 17.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Elkhart, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Elkhart, Indiana has 7 other nursing homes
- Elkhart General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away600 E Blvd Elkhart Indiana 46514Government - Local(574) 294-2621
- Goshen General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away200 High Park Ave Goshen Indiana 46526Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 364-1000
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away5215 Holy Cross Pkwy Mishawaka Indiana 46545Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 335-5000
- Memorial Hospital of South BendAcute Care Hospitals 15 miles away615 N Michigan St South Bend Indiana 46601Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 647-1000
- Community Hospital of Bremen IncCritical Access Hospitals 17.44 miles away1020 High Rd Bremen Indiana 46506Voluntary non-profit - Private(574) 546-2211
- Fmc - Nephrology - Elkhart0.61 miles away700 Waterbury Park Drive Elkhart Indiana 46517CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (574) 294-4444
- Davita - Elkhart3.09 miles away1401 N Michigan St Elkhart Indiana 46514Dialysis Stations: 12 (574) 262-5295
- Fmc - Nephrology - Home10.43 miles away250 E. Day Road, Suite 300 Mishawaka Indiana 46545Dialysis Stations: 2 (574) 273-6777
- Fmc - Nephrology - Goshen10.63 miles away2257 Karisa Drive, Suite 1 Goshen Indiana 46526Dialysis Stations: 25 (574) 533-9031
- Fmc - Nephrology - Mishawaka11.51 miles away710 Park Place Mishawaka Indiana 46545CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (574) 273-6776
- Davita - Irish Dialysis13.17 miles away4350 South Ironwood Dr South Bend Indiana 46614Dialysis Stations: 20 (574) 299-4529
- Fmc - South Bend Dialysis14.7 miles away320 South Street South Bend Indiana 46601Dialysis Stations: 17 (574) 246-0752
- Davita - Dialysis South Bend West19.53 miles away5660 Nimtz Pkwy South Bend Indiana 46628Dialysis Stations: 12 (574) 234-8870