Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab is an average-sized facility in Elizabeth, New Jersey. We gave this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires solid marks in most areas. You could certainly do much worse than this nursing home. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1048 Grove Street,
Elizabeth NJ 07202
71.76% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Elizabeth, New Jersey Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially would like to point out its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it an impressive grade of A in this category. Our inspection ratings are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a strong long-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.58491 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the amount of time nurses commit to patients as well as the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is not an impressive total. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth area, this facility was awarded a grade of C for short-term care, which is generally a decent rating. Short-term care grades are meaningful for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 5.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 91.97% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that maintained mobility. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to residents' health.
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elizabeth Nursing and Rehab, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.57 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 4.73 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.3 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Hospital0.99 miles awayDialysis Unit 225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-5203
- Fmc Elizabeth Dc1.89 miles away595 Division Street Suite B Elizabeth New Jersey 07201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 436-3007
- Trinitas Sat Linden2.32 miles away10 North Wood Ave Suite G Linden New Jersey 07036Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 862-7400
- Trinitas Livingston St2.38 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011
- Fmc Linden Dialysis3.06 miles away630 West St. Georges Ave Linden New Jersey 07036CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 925-5161
- Davita Hillside Dialysis Ctr3.06 miles away1529 North Broad Street Hillside New Jersey 07205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 474-1199
- Fmc Kenilworth3.16 miles away131 South 31st Street Kenilworth New Jersey 07033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (908) 241-0453
- Davita Parkside Dc3.43 miles away580 Frelinghuysen Avenue Newark New Jersey 07114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-2226