Elderwood at Wheatfield is a large nursing home located in Niagara Falls, New York. This proved to be a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. You can definitely do much worse than this nursing home. The best part of this facility's impressive profile is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elderwood at Wheatfield
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Niagara Falls senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Niagara Falls, New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Niagara Falls, New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Niagara Falls, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong nursing home overall, this place also excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of achievements, it also was given a superb short-term care score. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is considered to be a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Elderwood at Wheatfield?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care. This facility received a favorable long-term care grade, with a grade of B in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 91.304344 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is a bit less than we anticipated but still a decent figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next category we rated is nursing, which ended up being this facility's least impressive area. Sadly, it received an F for this category, which is obviously somewhat concerning. Nursing scores are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elderwood at Wheatfield Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 11.95% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 6.09% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who sustained falls resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients which experienced a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 4.69% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 11.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 2.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 95.09% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 22.29% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 18.19% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that mobility is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 18.19% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 7.08% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elderwood at Wheatfield, 55.21% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.55 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.69 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.1 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.18 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.52 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 17.63 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Niagara Dialysis Center4.41 miles away2932 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 297-4059
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wheatfield4.47 miles away3909 Forest Parkway North Tonawanda New York 14120Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 696-6193
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Niagara4.47 miles away3018 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 298-4195
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center7.01 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis7.17 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Davita Niagara Falls Kidney Center7.19 miles away621 10th Street Niagara Falls New York 14301Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 278-4639
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis8.65 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center9.44 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988