Located in Riverside, Rhode Island, Elderwood at Riverside is one of just a couple facilities in this city. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A grade in this range requires some decent scores. This nursing home has some things going for it. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home received consistently decent grades in all of the other areas we looked at. More information about these categories can be found below.
Elderwood at Riverside
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Riverside, Rhode Island Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Riverside, Rhode Island Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this nursing home's nursing score exceeded its overall score. This facility earned a grade of B+ in this category, which is one of our better grades. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of those nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded an impressive short-term care score. As a matter of fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that area, which is one of our better. With our short-term care grade, we endeavor to craft a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Elderwood at Riverside?
Turning to our inspection category, it appears this nursing home has received respectable inspections in recent years as well. We gave it a B- in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was long-term care. We gave this nursing home a C in this area. For residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this facility provided the vaccine to only 85.55556 percent of its patients. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elderwood at Riverside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elderwood at Riverside, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elderwood at Riverside, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elderwood at Riverside, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elderwood at Riverside, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elderwood at Riverside, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elderwood at Riverside, 2.58% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elderwood at Riverside, 94.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elderwood at Riverside, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elderwood at Riverside, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels.
In Elderwood at Riverside, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elderwood at Riverside, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elderwood at Riverside, 12.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elderwood at Riverside, 77.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 0.49 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.64 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.59 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.97 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.12 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.02 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence1.29 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital1.45 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Providence3.2 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence4.16 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Nna - Pawtucket5.4 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket5.79 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- Davita North Providence Renal Center6.58 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340