Elderwood at Lancaster is a nursing home in Lancaster, New York, a city with a population of 31,847 people. Featuring an overall score of A-, this facility is among the better nursing homes we looked at. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the country. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elderwood at Lancaster
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Lancaster senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well overall, this nursing home also earned nearly flawless government inspections. Therefore, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A+. Our inspection grades are based on pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a very impressive short-term care grade. This actually is its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A. Our short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Elderwood at Lancaster?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was long-term care. This facility was given a favorable long-term care score, with a grade of B+ in the category. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last area we assessed was nursing. We gave this nursing home a decent grade in this area, with a B-. Even though this wasn't as high as some of its other scores, it is still not the end of the world. Nursing ratings are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. Although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this statistic. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving patients at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elderwood at Lancaster Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that had UTI's. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 90.38% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels.
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elderwood at Lancaster, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.74 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.65 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.77 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis3.38 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276
- Pure Life Renal of Buffalo Inc.5.58 miles away6010 Main Street Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 631-4700
- Davita Renal Care of Buffalo6.31 miles away550 Orchard Park Road Buffalo New York 14224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 677-0089
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center6.82 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Us Renal Care Williamsville Dialysis7.41 miles away7964 Transit Road, Suite 8-A Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 634-1841
- Erie County Medical Center7.67 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Davita Suburban Dialysis7.76 miles away705 Maple Road Suite 600 Buffalo New York 14221CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (716) 630-6640
- Davita Orchard Park Dialysis9.07 miles away3801 Taylor Road Orchard Park New York 14127CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 209-7200