Elderwood at Hamburg is a senior living facility in Hamburg, New York, which has 41,937 people. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this looks like a respectable facility. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its exemplary inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Elderwood at Hamburg
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5775 Maelou Drive,
Hamburg NY 14075
69.63% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that area with an A+. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. The nursing rating weighs many datapoints, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Elderwood at Hamburg?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area is short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B-. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category was long-term care, which is the final category we scored. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this area. Despite some respectable scores in other categories, this score is still concerning so we would like to to make sure you are aware. For patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. After we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinates 98.305084 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elderwood at Hamburg Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients which suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents which have suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 91.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility.
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elderwood at Hamburg, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.9 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.91 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.7 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.85 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.35 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Bertrand Chaffee HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.72 miles away224 East Main Street Springville New York 14141Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 592-2871
- Davita Southtowns Dialysis1.98 miles away4910 Camp Road, Suite 100 Hamburg New York 14075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 649-4072
- Davita Orchard Park Dialysis4.59 miles away3801 Taylor Road Orchard Park New York 14127CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 209-7200
- Davita Renal Care of Buffalo7.71 miles away550 Orchard Park Road Buffalo New York 14224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 677-0089
- Oishei Children's Hospital of Buffalo9.69 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 818 Ellicott Street Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 4 (716) 323-1765
- Us Renal Care West Cheektowaga11.07 miles away2861 Harlem Road Buffalo New York 14225CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (716) 891-7429
- Davita Buffalo Downtown Dialysis11.42 miles away520 Ellicott St Suite 100 Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 845-5101
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis11.92 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276
- Erie County Medical Center13.57 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400