Elderwood at Grand Island is the only facility we were able to find in Grand Island, New York. With an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is ranked among the better nursing homes we assessed. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the country. As you can find below, this place also performed just fine in our category ratings. It's hard to find any major flaws in this facility's profile.
Elderwood at Grand Island
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a great facility overall, it also earned A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections were nearly flawless. Our inspection grades are based on several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Building on its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B+ for that category. Our nursing rating assesses many components, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Elderwood at Grand Island?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third category, this nursing home also earned a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this area. Short-term care scores are important for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional skilled nursing. This means a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is long-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a favorable grade of B. For residents seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 83.66534 percent of its patients for pneumonia. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elderwood at Grand Island Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 13.6% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 91.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels.
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.61 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.23 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 15.72 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.22 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Niagara Dialysis Center5.09 miles away2932 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 297-4059
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wheatfield5.14 miles away3909 Forest Parkway North Tonawanda New York 14120Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 696-6193
- Davita Niagara Falls Kidney Center5.14 miles away621 10th Street Niagara Falls New York 14301Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 278-4639
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Niagara5.17 miles away3018 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 298-4195
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center6.16 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis7.09 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center7.69 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988
- Liberty Rc, Inc.8.03 miles away699 Hertel Ave Buffalo New York 14207Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 871-4172