Elderwood at Grand Island is an average-sized nursing home located in Grand Island, New York. Featuring an overall rating of B, this nursing home is a quality option. Based on our ratings, you could do much worse than this facility. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elderwood at Grand Island
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Grand Island senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially want to emphasize its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave it an impressive grade of A+ in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average score in this area. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 95.91078 percent of its patients. This is a great way to avoid negative health outcomes for the aged 65 and up population. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Elderwood at Grand Island?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we graded is short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a decent grade of B-. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is generally a fair measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Our last area is nursing, in which we gave this facility a grade of B- in this area. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elderwood at Grand Island Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 7.22% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 1.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 0.37% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 6.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 5.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 3.07% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 97.96% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 18.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 20.51% of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 20.51% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 4.83% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elderwood at Grand Island, 70.21% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.61 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.23 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 15.72 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.22 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Niagara Dialysis Center5.09 miles away2932 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 297-4059
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wheatfield5.14 miles away3909 Forest Parkway North Tonawanda New York 14120Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 696-6193
- Davita Niagara Falls Kidney Center5.14 miles away621 10th Street Niagara Falls New York 14301Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 278-4639
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Niagara5.17 miles away3018 Military Road Niagara Falls New York 14304Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 298-4195
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center6.16 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis7.09 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center7.69 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988
- Liberty Rc, Inc.8.03 miles away699 Hertel Ave Buffalo New York 14207Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 871-4172