Elderwood at Amherst is in Buffalo, New York, which is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. This is a very respectable nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Buffalo. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive profile is its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elderwood at Amherst
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Buffalo senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility also earned top notch government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our higher grades in this area, with a grade of A-. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of short-term care, where it was given a score of B+. It performed better than most nursing homes in this category. Short-term care scores are crucial for patients needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Elderwood at Amherst?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 72.016464 percent of its patients. This is a few points lower than we expected but still a respectable percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we analyzed is nursing. For that category, we awarded this facility a C. Our nursing score assesses the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of skill of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is not an impressive total. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elderwood at Amherst Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elderwood at Amherst, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elderwood at Amherst, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elderwood at Amherst, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elderwood at Amherst, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elderwood at Amherst, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elderwood at Amherst, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elderwood at Amherst, 90.38% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elderwood at Amherst, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elderwood at Amherst, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Elderwood at Amherst, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elderwood at Amherst, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elderwood at Amherst, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elderwood at Amherst, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Buffalo, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Buffalo, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 10.83 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.66 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis0.74 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis2.31 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center2.47 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Davita Suburban Dialysis2.8 miles away705 Maple Road Suite 600 Buffalo New York 14221CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (716) 630-6640
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center3.23 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center3.31 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988
- Erie County Medical Center3.72 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Liberty Rc, Inc.4.07 miles away699 Hertel Ave Buffalo New York 14207Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 871-4172