Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is the only facility located in Homestead, Pennsylvania. This nursing home is an A rated facility. It was given one of the highest ratings we offer. A score in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. Keep reading to find this facility's category scores, which are equally impressive. You really can't do much better than a straight A report card.
Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2600 West Run Road,
Homestead PA 15120
88.54% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf profile, this facility also performed well in our long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in that category. Facilities that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its remarkable resume, this nursing home also was awarded a superb short-term care score, with a score of A-. Our short-term care grade is typically used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In the last area, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent nursing grade, with a grade of A-. This completed a very impressive profile. Nursing ratings are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents which have sustained a fall resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 3.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 88.22% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eldercrest Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Davita - Homestead Dialysis1.11 miles away207 West 7th Avenue Homestead Pennsylvania 15120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 476-8700
- Davita - East End Pittsburgh3.84 miles away7714 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 241-6790
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze3.89 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - North Versailles4.13 miles away613 East Pittsburgh Mckeesport Boulevard North Versailles Pennsylvania 15137Dialysis Stations: 19 (412) 675-0960
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Oakland4.5 miles away3260 Fifth Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 30 (412) 647-3700
- Upmc Presbyterian - Renal Unit4.56 miles away200 Lothrop Street Renal Unit, 11th Flr, Suite f1141.2 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 647-3114
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis4.85 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Va Pittsburgh Healthcare System4.87 miles awayUniversity Drive C 7 East, Room 129 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15240Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 360-6181