El Rancho Vista Health Care Center is a senior living facility located in Pico Rivera, California. The city has 62,928 people. This is a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on all of the relevant data, there are definitely much worse facilities out there. This facility was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
El Rancho Vista Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Pico Rivera senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This place's long-term care grade is more impressive than its overall score. Due to a quality performance in this area, it earned one of our better grades in that category with a grade of B. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. Nursing ratings are largely associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is a very low figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning residents more often.
Does this page answer your questions about El Rancho Vista Health Care Center?
Turning to our inspection category, it appears this facility has received respectable inspections in recent years as well. We gave it a B- in this category. Our inspection scores are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This place was hit with 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was short-term care. For this category, we awarded this nursing home a C. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This grade is frequently a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The tricky part is determining what effect this had on quality of care. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
El Rancho Vista Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. However, this datapoint could be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In El Rancho Vista Health Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.73 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis1.2 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- u.s. Renal Care Montebello Dialysis1.74 miles away433 N. 4th. St., Suite 102 Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (323) 278-5555
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis1.76 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Doctors Dialysis Center of Montebello2.19 miles away1721 W. Whittier Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 722-1116
- East Los Angeles Dialysis Center2.95 miles away5830 E. Whittier Blvd. Los Angeles California 90022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (323) 887-8545
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center3.03 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis3.32 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center3.44 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436