El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in El Paso, Texas. This nursing home is a subpar nursing home. A grade of this caliber indicates we found a few red flags. Based on our assessment, this facility may not be the best fit for most people. This nursing home's only redeeming feature was its inspection grade, which you can find additional information on below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
11525 Vista Del Sol Dr,
El Paso TX 79936
60.6% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Medical Transportation
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for that area, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection grades are based on datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. This place was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an D. In determining our nursing grades, we look at both staffing levels and the training levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This number is far below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's third highest score was long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still performed relatively badly. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 95.13678 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is short-term care. We gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is an abysmal score. Our short-term care ratings are probably most important for patients in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 4.84% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 93.69% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of F
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 5 other nursing homes
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 1.14 miles away1416 George Dieter El Paso Texas 79936Proprietary(915) 598-4240
- The Hospitals of Providence East CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away3280 Joe Battle Blvd El Paso Texas 79938Proprietary(915) 856-7349
- The Hospitals of Providence Horizon City CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away13600 Horizon Street, Suite 100 El Paso Texas 79928Proprietary(915) 407-7878
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 8.08 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8.19 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- William Beaumont Amg (Ft Bliss)Acute Care - Department of Defense 10.77 miles away5005 N. Piedras St. El Paso Texas 79920Department of Defense(915) 742-2121
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.82 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- Davita East Dialysis1.35 miles away11989 Pellicano Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 856-6363
- Davita - Loma Vista Dialysis1.63 miles away1382a Lomaland Dr El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 53 (915) 591-0834
- Us Renal Care East El Paso Dialysis2.38 miles away10737 Gateway W Ste 100 El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (915) 590-8334
- Davita Montana Vista Dialysis2.4 miles away2204 Joe Battle Blvd "A" El Paso Texas 79938Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 849-8374
- Fmc Dialysis Services Vista Del Sol2.82 miles away10420 Vista Del Sol, Suite #201 El Paso Texas 79925Dialysis Stations: 17 (915) 592-8496
- Ridgecrest Dialysis2.92 miles away12249 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 790-0839
- Fresenius Medical Care Horizon Dialysis2.95 miles away12245 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 872-0270
- Cielo Vista Dialysis3.06 miles away7200 Gateway E Ste B El Paso Texas 79915CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 771-6893