El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in El Paso, Texas. This nursing home was awarded an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a subpar rating. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 20 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
11525 Vista Del Sol Dr,
El Paso TX 79936
70.33% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't rate this facility favorably overall, we did give it an excellent score in the area of inspections, where it received an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. This place was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities second best category was long-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is basically a slightly below average score in this area. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center?
This facility's next best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with patients, in determining our rating in this category. This place provided a meager 3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is an alarmingly low total. In addition to receiving below average scores for nursing hours, this nursing home was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in calculating our nursing grades. We looked at the percentage of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and found this nursing home was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in this metric. This is likely a bad sign when you consider that many pressure ulcers are preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, this statistic pulled down this facility's nursing grade substantially.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is short-term care. We gave it an F in this category, which is a very poor score. In crafting these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. With a grade in this range for this area, we weren't shocked to find that this nursing home was well below average in several staffing metrics we looked at. The nursing home offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last area we considered in this category is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This place fared better in this area, with 49.2 percent of its patients returning home. This was just about this nursing home's only redeeming quality in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who had falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 4.7% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 95.06% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In El Paso Health & Rehabilitation Center, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 19 other nursing homes
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 1.14 miles away1416 George Dieter El Paso Texas 79936Proprietary(915) 598-4240
- The Hospitals of Providence East CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away3280 Joe Battle Blvd El Paso Texas 79938Proprietary(915) 856-7349
- The Hospitals of Providence Horizon City CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away13600 Horizon Street, Suite 100 El Paso Texas 79928Proprietary(915) 407-7878
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 8.08 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8.19 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- William Beaumont Amg (Ft Bliss)Acute Care - Department of Defense 10.77 miles away5005 N. Piedras St. El Paso Texas 79920Department of Defense(915) 742-2121
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.82 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- Davita East Dialysis1.35 miles away11989 Pellicano Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 856-6363
- Davita - Loma Vista Dialysis1.63 miles away1382a Lomaland Dr El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 53 (915) 591-0834
- Us Renal Care East El Paso Dialysis2.38 miles away10737 Gateway W Ste 100 El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (915) 590-8334
- Davita Montana Vista Dialysis2.4 miles away2204 Joe Battle Blvd "A" El Paso Texas 79938Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 849-8374
- Fmc Dialysis Services Vista Del Sol2.82 miles away10420 Vista Del Sol, Suite #201 El Paso Texas 79925Dialysis Stations: 17 (915) 592-8496
- Ridgecrest Dialysis2.92 miles away12249 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 790-0839
- Fresenius Medical Care Horizon Dialysis2.95 miles away12245 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 872-0270
- Cielo Vista Dialysis3.06 miles away7200 Gateway E Ste B El Paso Texas 79915CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 771-6893