El Monte Convalescent Hospital is a facility in El Monte, California, which has 90,977 people. This nursing home turns out to be a middle of the pack facility, with an overall grade of B-. This grade is right in line with the city grade in El Monte. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
El Monte Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on El Monte senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This place performed well in the area of long-term care, where it received an A. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.04762 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Inspections is another area where this nursing home excelled. In fact, we gave this nursing home an B+ for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about El Monte Convalescent Hospital?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. Our nursing grade assesses the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. Our short-term care scores are thought to be more critical for folks requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. It doesn't look like this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the number of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
El Monte Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.0.85 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center1.18 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC1.81 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- Fmc-El Monte2.29 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center2.45 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis2.45 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Rosemead Dialysis Center2.7 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis3.37 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682