El Monte Convalescent Hospital is a facility in El Monte, California, which has 90,977 people. This nursing home turns out to be a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. In fact, we found this nursing home to be better than most of the nursing homes in El Monte, which has a city grade of B-. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
El Monte Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home earned a strong overall grade as described above, but we wanted to point out its excellent long-term care score. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 98.92473 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a deadly health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In addition, this nursing home excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an B+. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about El Monte Convalescent Hospital?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. Nursing ratings are tied to nurse staffing levels. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a somewhat discouraging figure which is well below the national average. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this nursing home was awarded a grade of C in short-term care, which is generally a respectable grade. With our short-term care category, we attempt to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
El Monte Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In El Monte Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Scores for El Monte, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Monte, California has 7 other nursing homes
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.0.85 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center1.18 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC1.81 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- Fmc-El Monte2.29 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center2.45 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis2.45 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Rosemead Dialysis Center2.7 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis3.37 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682