Located in Staten Island, New York, Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center is one of four available facilities in the area. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is favorable grade. Based on all of the relevant data, you can do much worse than this place. This place was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Staten Island senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Staten Island, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this place also received top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best scores in this category, with a grade of A+. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this nursing home also earned a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 96.74267 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this facility, we gave them one of our higher grades in our short-term care category as well, with a B. Short-term care scores are important for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The next category we graded is nursing. This nursing home was given a C for this category. When computing our nursing scores, we weigh both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning a patient more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents which are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 90.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 3 other nursing homes
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension2.03 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.31 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc2.58 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home2.69 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center2.74 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.98 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.3.64 miles away30 Sneden Ave Staten Island New York 10312Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 356-2678
- Trinitas Livingston St5.57 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011