Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of a multitude of available nursing homes to choose from in Staten Island, New York. This facility was given an A- overall, which is a very strong rating. Based on our ratings, you can not go wrong with this nursing home. This facility also received phenomenal grades in each of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
140 Meisner Avenue,
Staten Island NY 10306
76.77% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Staten Island, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually perfect. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also excelled in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Few facilities received a better grade in this category. Our short-term care grades are critical for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was awarded favorable long-term care scores in our assessment. Indeed, we awarded them one of our higher scores in that area, with a grade of B. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 95.48955 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next category we graded is nursing, in which this nursing home was given a B. Believe it or not, this ended up being this nursing home's weakest category. A nursing home could be doing a lot worse when their lowest grade still is superior to most other nursing homes. Nursing grades are largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 13.2% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension2.03 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.31 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc2.58 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home2.69 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center2.74 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.98 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.3.64 miles away30 Sneden Ave Staten Island New York 10312Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 356-2678
- Trinitas Livingston St5.57 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011