Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of a multitude of available nursing homes to choose from in Staten Island, New York. This facility was given an A- overall, which is a very strong rating. Based on our ratings, you can not go wrong with this nursing home. This facility also received phenomenal grades in each of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually perfect. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also excelled in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Few facilities received a better grade in this category. Our short-term care grades are critical for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. The nursing category assesses quite a few subcategories, most of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at was long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a very good nursing score in our assessment, with a B. While this is not quite as elite as some of its other scores, this remains one of our better scores in this category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 94.83726 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 13.6% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 91.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension2.03 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.31 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc2.58 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home2.69 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center2.74 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.98 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.3.64 miles away30 Sneden Ave Staten Island New York 10312Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 356-2678
- Trinitas Livingston St5.57 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011