Located in Kansas City, Kansas, Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center is one of nine nursing homes there. Our scoring system was not very kind to this facility, as it received an overall rating of F. Based on our analysis, this facility likely isn't a good fit for anyone. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection score. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this place incredibly poorly overall, it earned a relatively impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our better grades in that area with a B. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid nursing homes with a list of deficiencies flagged. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't fare poorly in the area of short-term care. Indeed, we gave it a grade of C for that area, which turned out to be another one of its more favorable scores. With our short-term care score, we attempt to forge a fair measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. It is important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of long-term care, this facility was given a grade of just D in that category. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 44.931507 percent of its residents. This is several points less than what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
The final area we looked at is nursing, in which this nursing home was given a poor score here as well. It received a lowly F for this area, which is definitely somewhat alarming. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility offered only 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 7.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5.12% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.63% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 16.93% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5.92% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 91.42% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 16.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 21.25% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 21.25 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.63 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for Kansas City, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Kansas has 8 other nursing homes
- Providence Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away8929 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66112Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 596-4000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.2 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 12.92 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Wyandotte West Dialysis5.31 miles away11014 Haskell Ave Kansas City Kansas 66109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 721-9780
- Rai - Parallel Parkway - Kansas City Dialysis6.9 miles away6401 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 299-1044
- Lenexa Dialysis7.25 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Wyandotte County Dialysis, L L C7.8 miles away5001 State Ave Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (913) 287-5724
- Johnson County Dialysis8.14 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Fkc - Lenexa8.43 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Wyandotte Central Dialysis8.76 miles away3737 State Avenue # 100 Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 233-0536
- Concerto Kansas, LLC9.38 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063