Located in Kansas City, Kansas, Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center is one of nine nursing homes there. Our scoring system was not very kind to this facility, as it received an overall rating of F. Based on our analysis, this facility likely isn't a good fit for anyone. Surprisingly, we were able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
751 Blake Street,
Kansas City KS 66111
91.47% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our more favorable grades in that area with a grade of B. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility just a D for our short-term care score and that actually wound up as its next best score. Our short-term care scores are considered to be more critical for those requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this nursing home offers far less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's next highest score was long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still fared somewhat badly. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home administered the vaccine to only 53.65854 percent of its residents, which is several points lower than we expected. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
The last area we rated was nursing, where this nursing home received a very poor score in this category as well. We gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is definitely a major concern. In computing our nursing ratings, we analyze both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This particular place averaged a meager 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This statistic is significantly below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these data points to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 7.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 22.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5.98% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 91.04% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 16.84% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 19.61% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 19.61 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.57 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Kansas City, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Kansas has 8 other nursing homes
- Providence Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away8929 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66112Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 596-4000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.2 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 12.92 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Wyandotte West Dialysis5.31 miles away11014 Haskell Ave Kansas City Kansas 66109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 721-9780
- Rai - Parallel Parkway - Kansas City Dialysis6.9 miles away6401 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 299-1044
- Lenexa Dialysis7.25 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Wyandotte County Dialysis, L L C7.8 miles away5001 State Ave Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (913) 287-5724
- Johnson County Dialysis8.14 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Fkc - Lenexa8.43 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Wyandotte Central Dialysis8.76 miles away3737 State Avenue # 100 Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 233-0536
- Concerto Kansas, LLC9.38 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063