Located in Kansas City, Kansas, Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center is one of just three facilities in this city. Our rating system was not kind to this facility, as it received an overall score of F. Based on our analysis, this place is not a good fit for anyone. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Kansas City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for its long-term care grade, which really isn't a bad grade. Our long-term care grade assesses a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the highly skilled therapy and healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccines. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 85.95041 percent of its patients. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second least favorable score is short-term care, where it earned just a D in that category. This is a relatively poor grade. In crafting our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
This facility's least impressive category is nursing, which is the final area we analyzed. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D. The nursing score includes several subcategories, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 8.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.03% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 0.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 85.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 49.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.18% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 91.92% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 7.52% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 6.47% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 6.47% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edwardsville Care & Rehabilitation Center, 2.57% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Providence Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away8929 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66112Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 596-4000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.2 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 12.92 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Wyandotte West Dialysis5.31 miles away11014 Haskell Ave Kansas City Kansas 66109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 721-9780
- Rai - Parallel Parkway - Kansas City Dialysis6.9 miles away6401 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 299-1044
- Lenexa Dialysis7.25 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Wyandotte County Dialysis, L L C7.8 miles away5001 State Ave Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (913) 287-5724
- Johnson County Dialysis8.14 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Fkc - Lenexa8.43 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Wyandotte Central Dialysis8.76 miles away3737 State Avenue # 100 Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 233-0536
- Concerto Kansas, LLC9.38 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063