Edmond Health Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Edmond, Oklahoma. This facility was given a bottom of the barrel overall score based on the data we looked at. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Edmond. The city has just one other nursing home. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, long-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Edmond Health Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
39 East 33rd Street,
Edmond OK 73013
54.4% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We did not have any favorable things to say about this facility's overall score or its category grades. Its best category is long-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed badly. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 96.15385 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.96 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care rating and that actually ended up being its next highest category. Our short-term care grade is typically used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To have highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Edmond Health Care Center?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing score is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. In this facility's case, quantity of care does not appear to be the problem. According to its staffing data, this facility provided an average of 4 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which was above the national average. Despite performing well in terms of nursing hours, this facility didn't perform as well in the quality-based metrics we looked at in determining our nursing ratings. We looked at the percent of patients experiencing pressure ulcers and major falls. This place was above the national average in both statistics.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection score. We suggest you scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. This nursing home had a category G through L deficiency, which are among the more serious deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies found by CMS had the potential to cause actual harm to residents. Lastly, we want to point out that this place was assessed significant government fines of more than $100,000. This generally signifies that a nursing home's poor track record has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edmond Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edmond Health Care Center, 8.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edmond Health Care Center, 4.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which sustained falls which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edmond Health Care Center, 3.63% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edmond Health Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edmond Health Care Center, 24.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edmond Health Care Center, 3.95% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edmond Health Care Center, 91.04% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edmond Health Care Center, 14.73% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edmond Health Care Center, 17.09% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Edmond Health Care Center, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edmond Health Care Center, 17.09 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
- Summit Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away1800 South Renaissance Boulevard Edmond Oklahoma 73013Physician(405) 359-2400
- Integris Health EdmondAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away4801 Integris Parkway Edmond Oklahoma 73034Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 657-3000
- Mcbride Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away9600 North Broadway Extension Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73114Physician(405) 486-2100
- Oklahoma Spine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away14101 Parkway Commons Drive Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73134Physician(405) 749-2700
- Northwest Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away9204 North May Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73120Physician(405) 848-1918
- Lakeside Women's Hospital, a Member of Integris HeAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away11200 North Portland Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73120Physician(405) 936-1500
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away4050 West Memorial Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73120Physician(405) 608-3200
- Mercy Hospital Oklahoma City, IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away4300 West Memorial Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73120Voluntary non-profit - Church(405) 752-3754
- Davita - Edmond2.26 miles away50 S Baumann Ave Edmond Oklahoma 73034Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 330-6646
- Fmcna - Edmond East3.37 miles away301 Katie Michelle Blvd Edmond Oklahoma 73034Dialysis Stations: 14 (405) 341-9926
- Fmcna - Oklahoma Kidney Care Dx, LLC6.66 miles away13901 Mcauley Blvd, Ste 102 Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73134CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 302-4803
- Fmcna - North Central Oklahoma City7.13 miles away200 Ne 50th St Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (405) 557-0025
- Davita Lake Hefner Dialysis7.42 miles away6917 N May Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73116Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 810-9533
- Fmcna - Northwest Oklahoma City8.6 miles away3107 Nw 50th St Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73112CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 949-0237
- Fkc-Lake Hefner Dialysis9.23 miles away7201 Cherokee Plaza Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73132CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 728-1739
- Davita - Heartland Dialysis10.15 miles away925 Ne Eighth Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (405) 236-3043