Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center is a large facility located in Mesquite, Texas. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires solid scores in most areas. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Mesquite. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mesquite senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality facility is that it received an impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections is its best category. In that area, we awarded it an A. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Nursing grades are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a favorable long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that category with a score of B. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 95.7346 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, we gave this facility a grade of D for our short-term care category. This is the facility's weakest category rating. Sadly, this score pulled down the nursing home's overall profile to some degree. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. It appears that this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have sustained a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 4.84% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 93.69% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is important for residents' well-being.
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Metro East Dialysis Center0.23 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite1.12 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite2.17 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC3.1 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC3.28 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC3.73 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center3.83 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880
- Dallas East Dialysis3.97 miles away3402 North Buckner Blvd Suite 308 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (214) 660-9413