Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center is a large facility located in Mesquite, Texas. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires above average scores in most areas. If you take a look at the other options in Mesquite, we are confident you will find this nursing home to be a better option than most facilities in the city. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially want to point out its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this category. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. Nursing grades are primarily based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this nursing home also earned a grade of B for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. Short-term care grades are typically employed to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services In order to provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, we gave this facility a grade of D for the area of long-term care. This was the nursing home's worst category score. Nevertheless, you should not over-emphasize a single weak grade. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinates 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have sustained a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 4.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 94.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is important for residents' well-being.
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Metro East Dialysis Center0.23 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite1.12 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite2.17 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC3.1 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC3.28 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC3.73 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center3.83 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880
- Dallas East Dialysis3.97 miles away3402 North Buckner Blvd Suite 308 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (214) 660-9413