Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center is a large facility located in Mesquite, Texas. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires above average scores in most areas. In fact, we found this nursing home to be better than most of the nursing homes in Mesquite, which has a city grade of B. Fortunately, this place did not have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially want to emphasize its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded it an A in this category. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home really excelled in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed more favorably in this category. Our short-term care grades are considered to be most important for people needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. When computing our nursing ratings, we factor in both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at was long-term care. We gave this facility an acceptable score in this category, with a grade of B-. Even though this is not as dominant as several of this facility's other scores, it is still not the end of the world. In calculating our long-term care grades, we assess the assistance with daily living received by the facility's residents. After we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinates 99.411766 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 4.66% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 94.73% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewood Rehabilitation and Care Center, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Metro East Dialysis Center0.23 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite1.12 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite2.17 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC3.1 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC3.28 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC3.73 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center3.83 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880
- Dallas East Dialysis3.97 miles away3402 North Buckner Blvd Suite 308 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (214) 660-9413