Edgewood Nursing Center is located in Jacksonville, Florida. This city is among the largest metropolitan areas in the country with has a total of 810,498 people. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this nursing home wound up being notably better than most of the nursing homes in Jacksonville. Even in a city with 14 other nursing homes, this nursing home stands out as a very fine choice. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Edgewood Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Jacksonville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall rating, this nursing home received an A+ inspection score. This is based on its recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can offer a facility. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded high scores in the area of long-term care as well. Indeed, we gave it one of our best grades in that category with a area of A. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 96.788994 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Nursing Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was short-term care. This facility received a favorable short-term care grade in our assessment, with a B-. While this wasn't nearly as elite as some of its other scores, this is nevertheless a decent rating for this area. Our short-term care ratings are probably more meaningful for folks needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last metric we assessed in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 2.53% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 95.81% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 9.64 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Jacksonville, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Jacksonville, Florida has 13 other nursing homes
- Uf Health JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away655 W 8th St Jacksonville Florida 32209Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 244-0411
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 4.97 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 10.89 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.16 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Orange Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away2001 Kingsley Ave Orange Park Florida 32073Voluntary non-profit - Other(904) 276-8500
- Mayo ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away4500 San Pablo Rd Jacksonville Florida 32224Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 953-2000
- Ara North Jacksonville0.15 miles away1725 Oakhurst Avenue Suite 100 Jacksonville Florida 32208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (904) 766-2279
- Gateway Dialysis Center1.66 miles away5258-10 Norwood Avenue Jacksonville Florida 32208CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 764-6381
- Fmc-Trout River Dialysis1.95 miles away3107 Edgewood Ave W Jacksonville Florida 32209Dialysis Stations: 17 (904) 765-5033
- Dci Jacksonville Mid-Town2.87 miles away655 West 8th Street Jacksonville Florida 32209Dialysis Stations: 40 (904) 244-6690
- Fmc Dialysis Services - North Jacksonville2.95 miles away10614 Lem Turner Rd Jacksonville Florida 32218CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (904) 768-8576
- Dunn Avenue Dialysis3.43 miles away1215 Dunn Ave #8 Jacksonville Florida 32218Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 757-3540
- Dialysis Clinic Inc3.74 miles away757 Union Street W Jacksonville Florida 32202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (904) 354-0409
- Ara - West Jacksonville LLC3.85 miles away425 N Lee Street Suite 103 Jacksonville Florida 32204Dialysis Stations: 29 (904) 598-2711