Edgewood Nursing Center is located in Jacksonville, Florida. This city is among the largest metropolitan areas in the country with has a total of 810,498 people. This nursing home received an overall rating of A-. As a matter of fact, this is one of the ten best nursing homes in the city. Even in a city with 31 nursing homes, this facility stood out as a very fine selection. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Edgewood Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1771 Edgewood Ave W,
Jacksonville FL 32218
96.16% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was elite in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of A. Only a select group of nursing homes received a better grade in this category. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.039215 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewood Nursing Center?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the amount of time nurses are caring for residents as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was short-term care. In this category, we gave this nursing home an impressive grade of B. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewood Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 2.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 94.94% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewood Nursing Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Jacksonville, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jacksonville, Florida has 30 other nursing homes
- Uf Health JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away655 W 8th St Jacksonville Florida 32209Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 244-0411
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 4.97 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 10.89 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.16 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Orange Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away2001 Kingsley Ave Orange Park Florida 32073Voluntary non-profit - Other(904) 276-8500
- Mayo ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away4500 San Pablo Rd Jacksonville Florida 32224Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 953-2000
- Ara North Jacksonville0.15 miles away1725 Oakhurst Avenue Suite 100 Jacksonville Florida 32208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (904) 766-2279
- Gateway Dialysis Center1.66 miles away5258-10 Norwood Avenue Jacksonville Florida 32208CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 764-6381
- Fmc-Trout River Dialysis1.95 miles away3107 Edgewood Ave W Jacksonville Florida 32209Dialysis Stations: 17 (904) 765-5033
- Dci Jacksonville Mid-Town2.87 miles away655 West 8th Street Jacksonville Florida 32209Dialysis Stations: 40 (904) 244-6690
- Fmc Dialysis Services - North Jacksonville2.95 miles away10614 Lem Turner Rd Jacksonville Florida 32218CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (904) 768-8576
- Dunn Avenue Dialysis3.43 miles away1215 Dunn Ave #8 Jacksonville Florida 32218Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 757-3540
- Dialysis Clinic Inc3.74 miles away757 Union Street W Jacksonville Florida 32202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (904) 354-0409
- Ara - West Jacksonville LLC3.85 miles away425 N Lee Street Suite 103 Jacksonville Florida 32204Dialysis Stations: 29 (904) 598-2711