Edgewater Woods is one of seven nursing homes in Anderson, Indiana. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. In our view, this place ought to be a solid choice for most people. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for its inspection grade. This grade is far better than its overall grade. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received its second highest category grade in the area of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in this category, which is a decent score. In calculating these short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 5.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewater Woods?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area was long-term care. We awarded it a C in this area. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this area. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 93.42723 percent of its residents for pneumonia. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final area we assessed was nursing, proved to be this facility's weakest area. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this area. This is one of the couple of weak points in an otherwise strong report card. The nursing grade includes several data points. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewater Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewater Woods, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewater Woods, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who had falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewater Woods, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewater Woods, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewater Woods, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewater Woods, 12.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewater Woods, 91.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewater Woods, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewater Woods, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Edgewater Woods, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewater Woods, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewater Woods, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewater Woods, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Anderson, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anderson, Indiana has 6 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital of Anderson and Madison CountyAcute Care Hospitals 0.13 miles away1515 N Madison Ave Anderson Indiana 46011Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 298-4242
- St Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away2015 Jackson St Anderson Indiana 46016Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 646-8373
- St Vincent Mercy HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 12.72 miles away1331 S a St Elwood Indiana 46036Voluntary non-profit - Church(765) 552-4743
- Indiana University Health Ball Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.31 miles away2401 University Ave Muncie Indiana 47303Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 747-3111
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.56 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- Fmc - Dialysis Institute of Anderson2.48 miles away1815 Jackson St. Anderson Indiana 46016CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 649-4792
- Us Renal Care-Daleville5.76 miles away2220 E. 59th Street Anderson Indiana 46013Dialysis Stations: 13 (765) 378-1735
- Fmc - Elwood11.73 miles away1805 S. Anderson Street Elwood Indiana 46036Dialysis Stations: 12 (765) 557-2362
- Fmc - Muncie Dialysis14.03 miles away4021 West Kilgore Ave. Muncie Indiana 47304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 284-3049
- Dsi - North Muncie15.15 miles away2705 W North Street Muncie Indiana 47303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (765) 747-3020
- Davita - Muncie17.62 miles away820 E Mcgalliard Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 12 (765) 282-1266
- Dsi - North Granville Dialysis Clinic17.67 miles away3001 North Granville Ave. Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 16 (765) 288-3740
- Fmc - Fishers Dialysis17.77 miles away13648 Olivia Way Fishers Indiana 46037Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 773-6638