Edgewater Woods is one of seven nursing homes in Anderson, Indiana. This isn't a bad nursing home with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Anderson. At the end of the day, this facility should be a solid choice for quite a few people. The best part of this nursing home's report card was its remarkable inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this facility an A for its inspection grade. This is far more impressive than its overall rating. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility an impressive grade in short-term care. This nursing home received a B+ in this area, which is one of our better scores. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewater Woods?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing score. In fact, we gave this facility an D. We weighed the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with patients, in determining our rating in this category. This nursing home offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category is long-term care, which is the last area we scored. We gave it an abysmal F in this category. In spite of multiple decent grades in other categories, this grade is still concerning so we felt obligated to point it out. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 93.71981 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points less than we expected but still a respectable figure. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewater Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewater Woods, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewater Woods, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewater Woods, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewater Woods, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewater Woods, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewater Woods, 12.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewater Woods, 91.56% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewater Woods, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewater Woods, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Edgewater Woods, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewater Woods, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewater Woods, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewater Woods, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Anderson, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anderson, Indiana has 6 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital of Anderson and Madison CountyAcute Care Hospitals 0.13 miles away1515 N Madison Ave Anderson Indiana 46011Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 298-4242
- St Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away2015 Jackson St Anderson Indiana 46016Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 646-8373
- St Vincent Mercy HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 12.72 miles away1331 S a St Elwood Indiana 46036Voluntary non-profit - Church(765) 552-4743
- Indiana University Health Ball Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.31 miles away2401 University Ave Muncie Indiana 47303Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 747-3111
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.56 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- Fmc - Dialysis Institute of Anderson2.48 miles away1815 Jackson St. Anderson Indiana 46016CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 649-4792
- Us Renal Care-Daleville5.76 miles away2220 E. 59th Street Anderson Indiana 46013Dialysis Stations: 13 (765) 378-1735
- Fmc - Elwood11.73 miles away1805 S. Anderson Street Elwood Indiana 46036Dialysis Stations: 12 (765) 557-2362
- Fmc - Muncie Dialysis14.03 miles away4021 West Kilgore Ave. Muncie Indiana 47304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 284-3049
- Dsi - North Muncie15.15 miles away2705 W North Street Muncie Indiana 47303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (765) 747-3020
- Davita - Muncie17.62 miles away820 E Mcgalliard Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 12 (765) 282-1266
- Dsi - North Granville Dialysis Clinic17.67 miles away3001 North Granville Ave. Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 16 (765) 288-3740
- Fmc - Fishers Dialysis17.77 miles away13648 Olivia Way Fishers Indiana 46037Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 773-6638