Edgewater Woods is one of five nursing homes in Anderson, Indiana. This isn't a bad nursing home with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Anderson. At the end of the day, this facility should be a solid choice for quite a few people. This nursing home didn't meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Anderson senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best grades in this area with an A. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its second highest category grade in the category of short-term care. We gave this nursing home a B- in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable score. In determining these short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewater Woods?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is long-term care, where this facility was given a C in this category. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinates 96.62447 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to the next area, we gave this facility a grade of D for the area of nursing. This was the facility's weakest category grade. Our nursing score analyzes several data points, many of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This facility offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewater Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewater Woods, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewater Woods, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewater Woods, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewater Woods, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewater Woods, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewater Woods, 14.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewater Woods, 91.03% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewater Woods, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some experts would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewater Woods, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Edgewater Woods, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewater Woods, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewater Woods, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewater Woods, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Anderson, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anderson, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital of Anderson and Madison CountyAcute Care Hospitals 0.13 miles away1515 N Madison Ave Anderson Indiana 46011Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 298-4242
- St Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away2015 Jackson St Anderson Indiana 46016Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 646-8373
- St Vincent Mercy HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 12.72 miles away1331 S a St Elwood Indiana 46036Voluntary non-profit - Church(765) 552-4743
- Indiana University Health Ball Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.31 miles away2401 University Ave Muncie Indiana 47303Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 747-3111
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.56 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- Fmc - Dialysis Institute of Anderson2.48 miles away1815 Jackson St. Anderson Indiana 46016CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 649-4792
- Us Renal Care-Daleville5.76 miles away2220 E. 59th Street Anderson Indiana 46013Dialysis Stations: 13 (765) 378-1735
- Fmc - Elwood11.73 miles away1805 S. Anderson Street Elwood Indiana 46036Dialysis Stations: 12 (765) 557-2362
- Fmc - Muncie Dialysis14.03 miles away4021 West Kilgore Ave. Muncie Indiana 47304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 284-3049
- Dsi - North Muncie15.15 miles away2705 W North Street Muncie Indiana 47303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (765) 747-3020
- Davita - Muncie17.62 miles away820 E Mcgalliard Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 12 (765) 282-1266
- Dsi - North Granville Dialysis Clinic17.67 miles away3001 North Granville Ave. Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 16 (765) 288-3740
- Fmc - Fishers Dialysis17.77 miles away13648 Olivia Way Fishers Indiana 46037Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 773-6638