Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home in Long Beach, California. We awarded this nursing home a very respectable overall grade of A-. Indeed, we ranked it as the third best facility in Long Beach. Despite Long Beach featuring 26 other nursing homes available, this facility jumped off the page as a first-rate selection. As you will see below, this nursing home also performed just fine in our category scores. It is hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in our short-term care category, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. In computing our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is considered to be a reliable assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its high-end profile, this nursing home also excelled in our long-term care area. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- for that category. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths for the senior population. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Lastly, this nursing home also received top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a score of B+. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which sustained falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.83 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 10.93 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.55 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center1.66 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Fmc-Long Beach2.13 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.58 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.67 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.39 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis4.8 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-United Dialysis Center4.8 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155