Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home in Long Beach, California. We awarded this nursing home a very respectable overall grade of A-. Indeed, it turned out to be the fifth best facility in Long Beach according to our rankings. Even with Long Beach offering 26 other nursing homes to select from, this facility jumped off the page as a great selection. The best part of this facility's impressive report card was its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an excellent short-term care score, with a grade of A. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is considered to be a useful assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ for our inspections rating. Our nursing rating is largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center?
Adding yet another impressive category grade, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of B+ for our inspections category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this nursing home was awarded a decent long-term care grade. Even though this is not nearly as good as many of its other scores, this is truly not the end of the world. Our long-term care scores are more critical for people requiring more traditional services associated with activities of daily living. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term patients who had falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients that were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients well-being.
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Edgewater Skilled Nursing Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.83 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 10.93 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.55 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center1.66 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Fmc-Long Beach2.13 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.58 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.67 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.39 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis4.8 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-United Dialysis Center4.8 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155