Edgemoor Hospital is a nursing home located in Santee, California. This city has 53,422 people. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the best facilities we found. A grade of this caliber requires first-rate marks across the board. We also wanted to point out that this facility is based in a hospital. Typically, this means that more intensive medical services are available. One of the major highlights of this facility's remarkable report card is its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
655 Park Center Drive,
Santee CA 92071
89.53% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. We weighed the levels of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses spent with patients, in computing our score in this category. This facility provided 6.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This was one of the higher totals we found. Furthermore, a significant percentage of this care was provided by registered nurses, which are highly skilled nurses. These are both really impressive figures. On top of offering impressive levels of care, this place also excelled in the quality measures we assessed. It performed as well as any facility in California when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgemoor Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our next area, we gave this nursing home a score of A for our short-term care rating. This is a dominant grade. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is typically a reliable measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. One reason for this facility's strong score in this category is that it provides more care with registered nurses to its residents than the average nursing home. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last area, we awarded this facility an A+ for our long-term care grade. This finished off a very impressive profile. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. After looking at the significant amount of nursing hours provided by this facility, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.72414 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. This combination proved to be effective as this place keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgemoor Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgemoor Hospital, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgemoor Hospital, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgemoor Hospital, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgemoor Hospital, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgemoor Hospital, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgemoor Hospital, 4.32% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgemoor Hospital, 96.21% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgemoor Hospital, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgemoor Hospital, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Edgemoor Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgemoor Hospital, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 12.9 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.94 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon3.16 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Balboa East County4.29 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center4.73 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego7.58 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College7.94 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Davita-College Dialysis8.14 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North9.44 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego9.53 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882