Edgemoor Hospital is a facility in Santee, California, a city with a total of 53,422 people. With an A overall grade, we ranked this nursing home in the top ten percentile of all nursing homes in the United States. We also wanted to point out that this place is based in a hospital. Typically, this means that more intensive medical services are available. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category grades, which are also quite good. It would be hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Santee, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Santee, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Santee, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also want to note that this facility excelled in our nursing category. We gave them an A+ in this category. When computing our nursing grades, we assess both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning residents more often.
This facility has also received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Edgemoor Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was superb in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Not many nursing homes fared better in this area. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was long-term care, where this facility received a grade of B+. This rounded out a very strong report card. Only a select few facilities earned a B+ or better in all four categories. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.85915 percent of its patients, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Edgemoor Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Edgemoor Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Edgemoor Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Edgemoor Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which experienced a UTI. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Edgemoor Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Edgemoor Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Edgemoor Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Edgemoor Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Edgemoor Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Edgemoor Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Edgemoor Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Edgemoor Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 12.9 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.94 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon3.16 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Balboa East County4.29 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center4.73 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego7.58 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College7.94 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Davita-College Dialysis8.14 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North9.44 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego9.53 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882