Eastwood Convalescent Center is a nursing home in Detroit, Michigan which has a total of 673,342 people. This nursing home was awarded a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a lower end score. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Detroit, which is also well below average. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Eastwood Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
626 E Grand Blvd,
Detroit MI 48207
88.12% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid health inspections in recent years. We gave it a B in this category, which was much better than its overall grade. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest area is short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B-. Our short-term care ratings are meaningful for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing. This means a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastwood Convalescent Center?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. The nursing rating includes a host of datapoints. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, in which this nursing home was given a rock bottom grade here also. We gave it an F for this category, which is obviously somewhat alarming. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means the facility didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to patient care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 57.420925 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastwood Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 3.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 91.43% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels.
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.27 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick0.92 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.25 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.34 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.79 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.53 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.58 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.79 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Highland Park5.35 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700