Eastwood Convalescent Center is a nursing home in Detroit, Michigan which has a total of 673,342 people. We gave this nursing home an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Although the city grade in Detroit which is also just a D, you still ought to be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong inspection reports. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Eastwood Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it earned a relatively impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our better grades in that category with a B+. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid facilities that have too many severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent threat to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's next most respectable score is short-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this area, it still fared somewhat poorly. Short-term care ratings are critical for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most facilities, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastwood Convalescent Center?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. We weighed the licensure of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses spent with residents, in calculating our rating in this category. This facility averaged a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home received a rock bottom grade of F in that category. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care likely don't provide the type of consistent 24/7 care that some other facilities provide. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home administered the vaccine to a relatively low 52.592594 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastwood Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 3.47% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 91.4% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels.
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 25 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.27 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick0.92 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.25 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.34 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.79 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.53 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.58 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.79 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Highland Park5.35 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700