Eastwood Convalescent Center is a nursing home in Detroit, Michigan which has a total of 673,342 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. This facility seems to have a few things going for it. The best part of this nursing home's profile is is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Eastwood Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Detroit senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's best category grade came in the area of government inspections. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a B+. It actually outperformed most facilities in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite minor. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Another one of this nursing home's stronger areas was in the category of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. Nursing ratings are mostly based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastwood Convalescent Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was given strong short-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a B. In crafting these short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was long-term care, which proved to be this nursing home's weakest category. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is certainly very concerning. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the facility did not perform well in our measures relating to resident care. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 64.62264 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is quite a few points less than what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastwood Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients that have experienced falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term patients that experienced a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 3.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 91.02% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels.
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastwood Convalescent Center, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.27 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick0.92 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.25 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.34 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.79 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.53 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.58 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.79 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Highland Park5.35 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700