Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is one of a variety of available nursing homes at your disposal in Birmingham, Alabama. We gave this nursing home an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the country. We could not find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its ratings are impeccable. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile is its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ inspections recently. Its inspections were virtually perfect. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its dominant profile, this facility also excelled in our long-term care area. In fact, we gave it a score of A in the category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 95.86466 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a deadly ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. The nursing grade consists of many subcategories, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was short-term care, in which this facility received a grade of B. While this wound up being its least impressive category rating, this is still a quality score. Our short-term care grade is often used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. However, this datapoint could be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.27% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 92.58% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 15 other nursing homes
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.93 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 6.21 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.32 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Dci Birmingham1.27 miles away8713 Parkway East Birmingham Alabama 35206CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 838-5400
- Fmc Montclair1.95 miles away7780 Ludington Lane Birmingham Alabama 35210Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 957-1010
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.3 miles away9540 Parkway E Birmingham Alabama 35215Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 838-2652
- Birmingham East Dialysis3.13 miles away1105 East Park Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 833-6003
- Dsi South Dialysis4.66 miles away3201 3rd Ave South Birmingham Alabama 35222Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 502-5300
- Crown Dialysis5.46 miles away3007 27th Street North Birmingham Alabama 35207Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 297-0143
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc5.54 miles away2024 4th Ave South, Suite 100 Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 321-5844
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc5.62 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757