Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is one of a variety of available nursing homes at your disposal in Birmingham, Alabama. We gave this nursing home an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. We could not find many negative things to say about this facility. Its grades are as good as they get. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home earned an A+ inspection grade. This is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the best complements we can offer a nursing home. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its high-end assessment, this facility also received a dominant long-term care grade, with a grade of A. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 96.28253 percent of its residents, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. Nursing ratings are tied to nurse staffing levels. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Alabama in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning residents more often.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B-. This actually proved to be this nursing home's least impressive category. This is nevertheless not the end of the world. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients which experienced a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 19.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 23.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.35% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 91.96% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13.45% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 18.12% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 18.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 15 other nursing homes
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.93 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 6.21 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.32 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Dci Birmingham1.27 miles away8713 Parkway East Birmingham Alabama 35206CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 838-5400
- Fmc Montclair1.95 miles away7780 Ludington Lane Birmingham Alabama 35210Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 957-1010
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.3 miles away9540 Parkway E Birmingham Alabama 35215Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 838-2652
- Birmingham East Dialysis3.13 miles away1105 East Park Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 833-6003
- Dsi South Dialysis4.66 miles away3201 3rd Ave South Birmingham Alabama 35222Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 502-5300
- Crown Dialysis5.46 miles away3007 27th Street North Birmingham Alabama 35207Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 297-0143
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc5.54 miles away2024 4th Ave South, Suite 100 Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 321-5844
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc5.62 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757