With an address in Birmingham, Alabama, Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is one of nine facilities in this area. This is a decent facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our ratings, there are certainly far worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this facility's report card was its exemplary inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Birmingham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category scores came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B+. It actually performed better than most facilities in this category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 90.27778 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a bit less than we were hoping for but still a decent figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is short-term care, in which this nursing home received an F. In computing these short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. With its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the data we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The next category we rated is nursing, which was this facility's worst category. We gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is obviously a major disappointment. There are quite a few data points within this grade. Many of these subcategories relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility averaged a meager 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This statistic is far below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 10.13% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.17% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients that have had UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13.02% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 21.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients which were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 94.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 16.77% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13% of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastview Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 8 other nursing homes
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.93 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 6.21 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.32 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Dci Birmingham1.27 miles away8713 Parkway East Birmingham Alabama 35206CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 838-5400
- Fmc Montclair1.95 miles away7780 Ludington Lane Birmingham Alabama 35210Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 957-1010
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.3 miles away9540 Parkway E Birmingham Alabama 35215Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 838-2652
- Birmingham East Dialysis3.13 miles away1105 East Park Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 833-6003
- Dsi South Dialysis4.66 miles away3201 3rd Ave South Birmingham Alabama 35222Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 502-5300
- Crown Dialysis5.46 miles away3007 27th Street North Birmingham Alabama 35207Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 297-0143
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc5.54 miles away2024 4th Ave South, Suite 100 Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 321-5844
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc5.62 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757