Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center is a nursing home in El Monte, California, which has a population of 90,977 people. This nursing home turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our assessment, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. The best part of this place's report card was is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on El Monte senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
It should be noted that this nursing home's inspection grade outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we gave it a B+ for its inspections grade, which is one of our better scores. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This nursing home received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home also received a strong grade in our nursing category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. Nursing scores are largely associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest area was its long-term care grade, where it was given a grade of C. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 89.11565 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly lower than what we were hoping for. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was short-term care, which turned out to be this facility's weakest category. It received an F for this category, which is obviously a major disappointment. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more meaningful for individuals requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4 percent of its residents returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which have suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term care residents who have sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastland Subacute and Rehabilitation Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center1.87 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- Fmc-El Monte2.68 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.2.81 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.3.1 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719
- Advanced Dialysis Center3.13 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center3.33 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.3.6 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center3.86 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007