Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is located in East Providence, Rhode Island. This facility received an overall grade of B+, which is very good grade. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. The best part of this facility's impressive report card is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
198 Waterman Avenue,
East Providence RI 02914
74.11% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving an elite overall grade, this nursing home also earned an A+ inspection score. This score is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this area is one of the highest complements we can pay to a facility. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it was awarded a strong short-term care score. Indeed, short-term care ended up being its second most impressive category score. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a decent grade of B-. This is this facility's least impressive area. Our long-term care grades are more critical for patients requiring more traditional assistance associated with activities of daily living. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.375 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which suffer from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.58% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 94.38% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastgate Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 77.52% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for East Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? East Providence, Rhode Island has 6 other nursing homes
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.96 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 2.08 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.98 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital0.39 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital0.91 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence1.04 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Nna of Providence2.52 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Providence2.73 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna - Pawtucket3.59 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket4.05 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- Davita North Providence Renal Center4.98 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340