Located in Daphne, Alabama, Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center is the sole option we found in this city. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this looks like a very good facility. This place truly has plenty working in its favor. We were also pleased to find that this facility did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection grades are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so well is that it was given a strong long-term care grade. In fact, long-term care turned out to be its second highest category score. In that area, we gave this facility a score of A-. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 91.80328 percent of its patients, which is a few points below what we anticipated. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the next category, this facility also received a grade of B for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. In our short-term care assessment, we seek to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The last area we scored is nursing, in which this nursing home was given a B-. Although this is its weakest category score, this is still not a bad grade. In calculating our nursing grades, we weigh both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, while this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 1.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 92.58% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 11.46 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Eastpointe HospitalPsychiatric 1.73 miles away7400 Roper Lane Daphne Alabama 36526Voluntary non-profit - Other(251) 378-6500
- Thomas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away750 Morphy Avenue Fairhope Alabama 36532Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 928-2375
- Usa Health Children's & Women's HospitalChildrens 11.37 miles away1700 Center Street Mobile Alabama 36604Government - State(251) 415-1000
- Mobile Infirmary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away5 Mobile Infirmary Circle Mobile Alabama 36652Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 435-4700
- University of South Alabama Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.94 miles away2451 Fillingim Street Mobile Alabama 36617Government - State(251) 471-7110
- Springhill Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.05 miles away3719 Dauphin Street Mobile Alabama 36608Proprietary(251) 344-9630
- Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.76 miles away6801 Airport Boulevard Mobile Alabama 36608Voluntary non-profit - Church(251) 633-1000
- South Baldwin Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.52 miles away1613 North Mckenzie Street Foley Alabama 36535Proprietary(251) 949-3400
- Home Dialysis Options of Baldwin County2.08 miles away27880 N. Main St, Suite A Daphne Alabama 36526Dialysis Stations: 4 (251) 626-1086
- Fmc Eastern Shore6.19 miles away124 Professional Park Dr Fairhope Alabama 36532CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (251) 928-7835
- Fmc Port City9.7 miles away201 St. Joseph Street, Suite B Mobile Alabama 36602Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 652-1025
- Fmc East Mobile10.29 miles away1217 Government St Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (251) 438-6917
- Fmc Dauphin Island Pkwy10.31 miles away2381 Dauphin Island Parkway Mobile Alabama 36605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 471-2505
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama Inc10.96 miles away65 North Catherine Street Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (251) 441-0868
- Fmc Mobile12.62 miles away2620 Old Shell Rd Mobile Alabama 36607CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (251) 476-2762
- Fmc Jaguar12.76 miles away575 Stanton Road Unit B Mobile Alabama 36617CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (251) 476-0502