Located in Daphne, Alabama, Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center is the sole option we found in this city. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this is without a doubt a very good facility. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the United States. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this facility also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. Therefore, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its top-shelf assessments in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A- for its short-term care grade. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This grade is typically a meaningful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also was given favorable long-term care scores this year. Indeed, we awarded them one of our higher scores in that category, with a score of B+. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 88.297874 percent of its patients, which is a few points lower than we expected. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we looked at was nursing, where this facility received a B-. Although this proved to be its weakest category grade, this is nevertheless nothing to be ashamed of. We weighed the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffered a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 19.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 23.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 1.35% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 91.96% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 13.45% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 18.12% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 18.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 11.48 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastern Shore Rehabilitation and Health Center, 72.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Eastpointe HospitalPsychiatric 1.73 miles away7400 Roper Lane Daphne Alabama 36526Voluntary non-profit - Other(251) 378-6500
- Thomas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away750 Morphy Avenue Fairhope Alabama 36532Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 928-2375
- Usa Health Children's & Women's HospitalChildrens 11.37 miles away1700 Center Street Mobile Alabama 36604Government - State(251) 415-1000
- Mobile Infirmary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away5 Mobile Infirmary Circle Mobile Alabama 36652Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 435-4700
- University of South Alabama Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.94 miles away2451 Fillingim Street Mobile Alabama 36617Government - State(251) 471-7110
- Springhill Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.05 miles away3719 Dauphin Street Mobile Alabama 36608Proprietary(251) 344-9630
- Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.76 miles away6801 Airport Boulevard Mobile Alabama 36608Voluntary non-profit - Church(251) 633-1000
- South Baldwin Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.52 miles away1613 North Mckenzie Street Foley Alabama 36535Proprietary(251) 949-3400
- Home Dialysis Options of Baldwin County2.08 miles away27880 N. Main St, Suite A Daphne Alabama 36526Dialysis Stations: 4 (251) 626-1086
- Fmc Eastern Shore6.19 miles away124 Professional Park Dr Fairhope Alabama 36532CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (251) 928-7835
- Fmc Port City9.7 miles away201 St. Joseph Street, Suite B Mobile Alabama 36602Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 652-1025
- Fmc East Mobile10.29 miles away1217 Government St Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (251) 438-6917
- Fmc Dauphin Island Pkwy10.31 miles away2381 Dauphin Island Parkway Mobile Alabama 36605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 471-2505
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama Inc10.96 miles away65 North Catherine Street Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (251) 441-0868
- Fmc Mobile12.62 miles away2620 Old Shell Rd Mobile Alabama 36607CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (251) 476-2762
- Fmc Jaguar12.76 miles away575 Stanton Road Unit B Mobile Alabama 36617CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (251) 476-0502