Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center is on a list of 15 possibilities in Bronx, New York. This nursing home received an overall grade of C, which is a decent grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Bronx, which admittedly is admittedly a bit below average nationally. The best part of this facility's report card was its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its excellent inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had favorable view of this facility's inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to note that this nursing home was awarded strong long-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our better scores in this category, with a grade of B. This proved to be the facility's second highest score. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 75.73416 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is a few points lower than we expected but still a respectable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second least favorable score is short-term care, where it earned just a D in that category. This is a well below average grade. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Considering its score in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
The last area we rated was nursing. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. This is certainly a major concern. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are seeing residents and the level of licensure of those nurses. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which sustained falls which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 13.75% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 90.38% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels.
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 14 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.4 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Davita Hutchinson River Dialysis0.35 miles away2331 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 547-0612
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center0.67 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Davita Laconia Dialysis0.77 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC0.77 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Fms-Morris Park1.04 miles away1325 Morris Park Avenue Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 597-2255
- Montefiore Hosp. & Med. Ctr.1.04 miles away111 East 210th Street Dialysis Unit-4th Floor Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 920-4974
- Morningside Dialysis Center LLC.1.06 miles away1000 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 904-6518
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC1.13 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 239-2089