Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center is one of a list of 45 facilities located in Bronx, New York. This city has far more facilities than most other areas in New York. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a good grade. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Bronx, which is a B-. The best part of this place's report card was its remarkable inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had a generally positive view of this nursing home's inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
The second most favorable area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated 85.42373 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is quite a bit less than what we expected. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only earned a grade of D for its short-term care rating, which is not an impressive grade. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is generally a solid measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Considering its score in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This facility's least impressive category is nursing, which is the last area we analyzed. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this area. Even with some respectable grades in other categories, this score is still alarming so we wanted to point it out. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastchester Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.4 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Davita Hutchinson River Dialysis0.35 miles away2331 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 547-0612
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center0.67 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Davita Laconia Dialysis0.77 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC0.77 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Fms-Morris Park1.04 miles away1325 Morris Park Avenue Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 597-2255
- Montefiore Hosp. & Med. Ctr.1.04 miles away111 East 210th Street Dialysis Unit-4th Floor Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 920-4974
- Morningside Dialysis Center LLC.1.06 miles away1000 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 904-6518
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC1.13 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 239-2089