With an address in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center is one of a mere three available nursing homes in the city. Featuring an overall grade of B, this nursing home is a quality choice. This place truly has plenty of good features. Fortunately, this place did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
305 Maple Street,
East Longmeadow MA 01028
96.03% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility earned even higher marks in nursing. We gave it one of our highest scores in that category with a grade of A. When determining our nursing grades, we weigh both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we gave this facility an B+ for our inspections rating. Inspection grades are based on pieces of information found on the a nursing home's inspections. Nursing homes that excel in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor dings are not necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest area came in the area of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. Short-term care grades are generally employed to score a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last area, this facility was given a respectable long-term care score of B-. Our long-term care scores are more meaningful for residents in need of more conventional assistance associated with personal care. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 93.87255 percent of its patients, which is somewhat below what we anticipated. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.65 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.02 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.45 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 19.9 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.09 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.42 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC4.55 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)4.67 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Enfield Dialysis Center4.84 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Palomba Drive Dialysis5 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center7.19 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC7.43 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983