With an address in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center is one of a mere three available nursing homes in the city. Featuring an overall grade of B, this nursing home is a quality choice. This place truly has plenty of good features. Fortunately, this place did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
To complement its strong performance in other categories, we gave this facility an B+ for our nursing rating. We scrutinized the levels of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses worked with residents, in computing our score in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a favorable long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. For patients seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 92.13759 percent of its residents. This is a few points less than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this nursing home was given a B- for short-term care, which is generally a decent rating. Our short-term care scores are meaningful for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 1.95% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 91.63% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.65 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.02 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.45 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 19.9 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.09 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.42 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC4.55 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)4.67 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Enfield Dialysis Center4.84 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Palomba Drive Dialysis5 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center7.19 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC7.43 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983