East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center is a large non-profit facility in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most people. This nursing home truly has plenty working in its favor. Fortunately, this place didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on East Longmeadow senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in nursing, where it received a grade of A. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we consider the amount of time nurses are with residents as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving patients even once per day.
In addition, this nursing home earned top notch health inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a grade of B+. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of B+. It outpaced most facilities in this area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.59036 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is short-term care. This nursing home was given an above average short-term care rating this year, with a B-. Even though this isn't nearly as good as some of its other grades, this is still an acceptable grade in this category. Short-term care grades are critical for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who have sustained a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which experienced UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 2.48% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 91.39% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.65 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.02 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.45 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 19.9 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.09 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.42 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC4.55 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)4.67 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Enfield Dialysis Center4.84 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Palomba Drive Dialysis5 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center7.19 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC7.43 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983