East Lake Arbor is an average-sized facility in Decatur, Georgia. This nursing home received an overall grade of F. This nursing home is really as bad as it gets. While this facility received one reasonable category grade for nursing, which you can find more information about below.
East Lake Arbor
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was rock bottom, it actually didn't perform as badly in nursing. In fact, we gave it a grade of C for that category. When computing a facility's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses are with patients as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, nursing grades also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
This nursing home received really poor government inspection reports in recent years, causing us to give them an F in our inspection category. An F in this category is generally a signal that we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. For places with bad inspection scores, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with a deficiency by government inspectors. We were relieved to find that it wasn't in one of the categories that suggest that it caused a risk to resident health or safety. Lastly, we also need to point out that this nursing home received large government fines totaling more than $100,000. This usually indicates that a nursing home'spoor track record spanned more than one year.
Does this page answer your questions about East Lake Arbor?
Long-term Care Quality
In our next category, we gave this facility an F in the area of long-term care. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 94.014084 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was short-term care, in which this nursing home was given a rock bottom score in this area as well. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is definitely a major concern. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Lake Arbor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Lake Arbor, 10.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Lake Arbor, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Lake Arbor, 3.23% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Lake Arbor, 18.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Lake Arbor, 21.48% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Lake Arbor, 5.43% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Lake Arbor, 93.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Lake Arbor, 17.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Lake Arbor, 23.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In East Lake Arbor, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Lake Arbor, 23.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Lake Arbor, 11.54 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Lake Arbor, 69.88% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Decatur, GA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Decatur, Georgia has 5 other nursing homes
- Emory University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away1364 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-8500
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at EglestonChildrens 2.95 miles away1405 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 785-6101
- Emory Decatur HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away2701 N Decatur Road Decatur Georgia 30033Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 501-1000
- Wellstar Atlanta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away303 Parkway Drive, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30312Proprietary(404) 265-4000
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away80 Jesse Hill, Jr Drive Se Atlanta Georgia 30303Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 616-4252
- Emory University Hospital MidtownAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away550 Peachtree Street, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30308Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-4411
- Piedmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.3 miles away1968 Peachtree Rd Nw Atlanta Georgia 30309Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 605-5000
- Emory Hillandale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.61 miles away2801 Dekalb Medical Parkway Lithonia Georgia 30058Government - Hospital District or Authority(404) 501-8040
- Eastlake Dialysis1.31 miles away1757 Candler Road Se Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 289-2313
- East Dekalb Dialysis1.43 miles away2853 Candler Road, Suite 203 Decatur Georgia 30034CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 241-0402
- Fmcna Dialysis Services of Decatur1.6 miles away2721 Irwin Way Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 21 (404) 298-5450
- Mcafee Dialysis1.81 miles away1987 Candler Rd Suite C Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 284-8596
- Decatur Dialysis Center1.81 miles away1987 Candler Rd Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 286-1700
- Total Renal Care, Inc.2.33 miles away2540 Flat Shoals Road Atlanta Georgia 30349Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 991-6479
- Emory Dialysis LLC2.59 miles away2165 North Decatur Road Suite 100 Decatur Georgia 30033Dialysis Stations: 22 (404) 251-2330
- Dci Dekalb2.86 miles away558 Medlock Road Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 12 (404) 371-0499