East Lake Arbor is an average-sized facility in Decatur, Georgia. This nursing home received an overall grade of F. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Decatur. The city has just one other nursing home. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
East Lake Arbor
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Decatur senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We didn't have any favorable things to say about this nursing home's overall grade or its category scores. Nevertheless, with just a D in this area, it still performed relatively badly. Our nursing category consists of quite a few components, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Tragically, this facility received an F for its long-term care score. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the place is not as well-staffed. After we finished assessing the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated only 85.80247 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about East Lake Arbor?
We wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its inspection grade. An F in this category is very concerning because it usually points to red flags on the nursing home's inspections. When a facility has this bad of an inspection grade, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility was assessed one deficiency by government inspectors. We were relieved to find that it wasn't in a category that suggests that it posed a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, we want to point out that this place received large government fines of over $100,000. This often means that a bad performance spanned more than one year.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is a very poor grade. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. With a score of this caliber for this category, we were not stunned to discover this facility was below average in several staffing metrics we looked at. In fact, it supplied substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The last item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Lake Arbor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Lake Arbor, 6.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Lake Arbor, 0.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Lake Arbor, 1.3% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Lake Arbor, 41.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents that were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Lake Arbor, 11.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Lake Arbor, 6.82% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Lake Arbor, 90.37% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Lake Arbor, 18.48% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Lake Arbor, 8.29% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In East Lake Arbor, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Lake Arbor, 8.29% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Lake Arbor, 12.36% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Lake Arbor, 60.72% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Emory University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away1364 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-8500
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at EglestonChildrens 2.95 miles away1405 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 785-6101
- Emory Decatur HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away2701 N Decatur Road Decatur Georgia 30033Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 501-1000
- Wellstar Atlanta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away303 Parkway Drive, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30312Proprietary(404) 265-4000
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away80 Jesse Hill, Jr Drive Se Atlanta Georgia 30303Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 616-4252
- Emory University Hospital MidtownAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away550 Peachtree Street, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30308Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-4411
- Piedmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.3 miles away1968 Peachtree Rd Nw Atlanta Georgia 30309Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 605-5000
- Emory Hillandale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.61 miles away2801 Dekalb Medical Parkway Lithonia Georgia 30058Government - Hospital District or Authority(404) 501-8040
- Eastlake Dialysis1.31 miles away1757 Candler Road Se Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 289-2313
- East Dekalb Dialysis1.43 miles away2853 Candler Road, Suite 203 Decatur Georgia 30034CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 241-0402
- Fmcna Dialysis Services of Decatur1.6 miles away2721 Irwin Way Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 21 (404) 298-5450
- Mcafee Dialysis1.81 miles away1987 Candler Rd Suite C Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 284-8596
- Decatur Dialysis Center1.81 miles away1987 Candler Rd Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 286-1700
- Total Renal Care, Inc.2.33 miles away2540 Flat Shoals Road Atlanta Georgia 30349Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 991-6479
- Emory Dialysis LLC2.59 miles away2165 North Decatur Road Suite 100 Decatur Georgia 30033Dialysis Stations: 22 (404) 251-2330
- Dci Dekalb2.86 miles away558 Medlock Road Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 12 (404) 371-0499