East Lake Arbor is an average-sized facility in Decatur, Georgia. This nursing home received an overall grade of F. This nursing home is really as bad as it gets. While this facility received one reasonable category grade for nursing, which you can find more information about below.
East Lake Arbor
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
304 Fifth Avenue,
Decatur GA 30030
86.5% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was rock bottom, it actually didn't perform as badly in nursing. In fact, we gave it a grade of B- for that category. When computing a facility's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses are with patients as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, nursing grades also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only received a D for its long-term care grade, which turns out to be one of its more respectable category scores. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 95.51724 percent of its residents, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this nursing home also keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about East Lake Arbor?
We wanted to point out this facility's inspection score where it received an F. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection rating. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of those deficiencies. This particular facility was hit with one deficiency by CMS. We were relieved to find that it was not in one of the categories that suggest that it posed a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed significant government fines amounting to over $100,000. This often means that a poor performance spanned more than one year.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is short-term care. This nursing home received a rock bottom grade of F in that area. Short-term care grades are important for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With a grade in this range for this area, we weren't shocked to learn that this place was well below average in the two key staffing metrics we focus on. In fact, it provided substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Lake Arbor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Lake Arbor, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Lake Arbor, 3.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Lake Arbor, 3.19% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Lake Arbor, 18.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Lake Arbor, 21.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Lake Arbor, 5.28% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Lake Arbor, 93.36% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Lake Arbor, 16.65% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Lake Arbor, 20.73% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In East Lake Arbor, 1.6 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Lake Arbor, 20.73 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Lake Arbor, 11.5 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Lake Arbor, 69.89% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Decatur, GA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Decatur, Georgia has 5 other nursing homes
- Emory University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away1364 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-8500
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at EglestonChildrens 2.95 miles away1405 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 785-6101
- Emory Decatur HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away2701 N Decatur Road Decatur Georgia 30033Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 501-1000
- Wellstar Atlanta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away303 Parkway Drive, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30312Proprietary(404) 265-4000
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away80 Jesse Hill, Jr Drive Se Atlanta Georgia 30303Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 616-4252
- Emory University Hospital MidtownAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away550 Peachtree Street, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30308Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-4411
- Piedmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.3 miles away1968 Peachtree Rd Nw Atlanta Georgia 30309Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 605-5000
- Emory Hillandale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.61 miles away2801 Dekalb Medical Parkway Lithonia Georgia 30058Government - Hospital District or Authority(404) 501-8040
- Eastlake Dialysis1.31 miles away1757 Candler Road Se Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 289-2313
- East Dekalb Dialysis1.43 miles away2853 Candler Road, Suite 203 Decatur Georgia 30034CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 241-0402
- Fmcna Dialysis Services of Decatur1.6 miles away2721 Irwin Way Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 21 (404) 298-5450
- Mcafee Dialysis1.81 miles away1987 Candler Rd Suite C Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 284-8596
- Decatur Dialysis Center1.81 miles away1987 Candler Rd Decatur Georgia 30032CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 286-1700
- Total Renal Care, Inc.2.33 miles away2540 Flat Shoals Road Atlanta Georgia 30349Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 991-6479
- Emory Dialysis LLC2.59 miles away2165 North Decatur Road Suite 100 Decatur Georgia 30033Dialysis Stations: 22 (404) 251-2330
- Dci Dekalb2.86 miles away558 Medlock Road Decatur Georgia 30030Dialysis Stations: 12 (404) 371-0499