East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is located in Bronx, New York, which offers quite a few nursing homes. Sporting an overall grade of C, this is likely a decent facility. Based on our assessment, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection score. Its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+ in our long-term care category. This is one of our more impressive grades. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 88.64307 percent of its patients, which is a bit lower than we were hoping for. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
This facility also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a F in this area. Our nursing rating consists of quite a few subcategories, but the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area was short-term care, which is the final area we scored. Sadly, it received an F for this category. Despite some decent scores in other areas, this grade is still concerning so we would like to to make sure you are aware. In forming our short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. With its score in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the data we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents who suffered from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents which have suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.6% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Haven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.3 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.32 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.73 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Davita Hutchinson River Dialysis0.03 miles away2331 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 547-0612
- Montefiore Hosp. & Med. Ctr.0.68 miles away111 East 210th Street Dialysis Unit-4th Floor Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 920-4974
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC0.69 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Fms-Morris Park0.69 miles away1325 Morris Park Avenue Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 597-2255
- Fms-Eastchester0.76 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (718) 792-0470
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC0.76 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 239-2089
- Morningside Dialysis Center LLC.0.9 miles away1000 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 904-6518
- Waters Place Dialysis Center0.93 miles away1733 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 822-1968