Located in Birmingham, Alabama, East Glen is one of nine nursing homes in this area. With an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the nation. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Birmingham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this place also received top notch health inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our best scores in that area, with a grade of A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this facility's other accomplishments is its high-end long-term care grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that category, with a score of A-. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 50.184505 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is somewhat lower than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about East Glen?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, this nursing home received a strong short-term care score. In that area, we awarded this facility a A-. In crafting these short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Turning to our last area, this facility was given an acceptable nursing rating. While this wasn't as elite as many of its other scores, this is still not a poor grade. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, although this nursing home got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this metric.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
East Glen Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In East Glen, 9.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In East Glen, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents who suffered a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In East Glen, 3.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In East Glen, 19.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In East Glen, 23.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In East Glen, 1.24% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In East Glen, 91.17% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In East Glen, 13.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In East Glen, 14.98% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In East Glen, 14.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In East Glen, 10.28 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In East Glen, 76.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 8 other nursing homes
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 0.07 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.16 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 10.44 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.34 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.68 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.53 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Birmingham East Dialysis1.1 miles away1105 East Park Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 833-6003
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.1.72 miles away9540 Parkway E Birmingham Alabama 35215Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 838-2652
- Fresenius Medical Care Trussville, LLC1.93 miles away3671 Roosevelt Blvd Birmingham Alabama 35235Dialysis Stations: 20 (205) 655-0961
- Dci Birmingham3.32 miles away8713 Parkway East Birmingham Alabama 35206CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 838-5400
- Davita Center Point Dialysis3.56 miles away2337 1st St Ne Birmingham Alabama 35215Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 520-1108
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp3.63 miles away218 Main Street Suite 114 & 118 Trussville Alabama 35173Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 655-0871
- Fmc Montclair5.4 miles away7780 Ludington Lane Birmingham Alabama 35210Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 957-1010
- Leeds Dialysis8.5 miles away1650 Maxey Drive Leeds Alabama 35094Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 699-5383