With an address in Lowell, Massachusetts, D'youville Senior Care is one of seven available nursing homes in this area. This nursing home turns out to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. At the end of the day, this facility is a good fit for most people. This place also received consistently good scores in all four of our categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
D'youville Senior Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our long-term care grade. For residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 83.47339 percent of its residents. This is a bit lower than we were hoping for. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was given favorable short-term care scores this year. Indeed, we awarded it one of our better scores in that category, with a score of B+. Short-term care ratings are important for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This means a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about D'youville Senior Care?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. We analyzed the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses worked with patients, in computing our grade in this area. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
In the last category we looked at, we found that this facility received a solid government inspection report this year as well. As a result, it received a decent score in inspections with a score of B. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
D'youville Senior Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In D'youville Senior Care, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In D'youville Senior Care, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that experienced falls resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In D'youville Senior Care, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In D'youville Senior Care, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In D'youville Senior Care, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In D'youville Senior Care, 1.93% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In D'youville Senior Care, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In D'youville Senior Care, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In D'youville Senior Care, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In D'youville Senior Care, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In D'youville Senior Care, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In D'youville Senior Care, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In D'youville Senior Care, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Lowell, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Lowell, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 13.41 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.48 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford3.82 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell4.59 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Davita Nashua Dialysis9.22 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc10.83 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC11.05 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire, Inc.12.11 miles away20 Cotton Road Suite 200 Nashua New Hampshire 03063Dialysis Stations: 21 (603) 577-4547
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home12.54 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley12.63 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900