With an address in Lowell, Massachusetts, D'youville Senior Care is one of eight available nursing homes in this area. This nursing home turns out to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. At the end of the day, this facility is a good fit for most people. This place also received consistently good scores in all four of our categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
D'youville Senior Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility received even higher grades in our short-term care rating. It earned one of our highest scores in that area with an A-. In computing these short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other achievements is its first-rate long-term care score. We gave them one of our more impressive grades in that area, with a score of A-. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 71.78003 percent of its residents, which is a bit lower than we were hoping for. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about D'youville Senior Care?
This facility also earned impressive inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Switching gears to the final category, this facility received a strong nursing grade. This nursing home didn't prove to have any weak areas. There are a number of subcategories within this grade. Most of these data points relate to levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
D'youville Senior Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In D'youville Senior Care, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In D'youville Senior Care, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In D'youville Senior Care, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In D'youville Senior Care, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In D'youville Senior Care, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In D'youville Senior Care, 1.95% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In D'youville Senior Care, 91.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In D'youville Senior Care, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In D'youville Senior Care, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In D'youville Senior Care, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In D'youville Senior Care, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In D'youville Senior Care, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In D'youville Senior Care, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Lowell, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Lowell, Massachusetts has 7 other nursing homes
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 13.41 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.48 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford3.82 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell4.59 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Davita Nashua Dialysis9.22 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc10.83 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC11.05 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire, Inc.12.11 miles away20 Cotton Road Suite 200 Nashua New Hampshire 03063Dialysis Stations: 21 (603) 577-4547
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home12.54 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley12.63 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900