With an address in Lowell, Massachusetts, D'youville Senior Care is one of just a few available facilities in the city. This nursing home proved to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. In our view, this facility is a good fit for quite a few people. This place also received consistently good ratings in each of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
D'youville Senior Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Lowell senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also earned an impressive long-term care score this year. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 80.87432 percent of its patients. This is a bit below what we anticipated. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's impressive category scores came in the area of short-term care. We gave them one of our stronger scores in that area, with a grade of B+. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This score is frequently a useful assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about D'youville Senior Care?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing ratings are primarily based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
In the last category we looked at, we found that this nursing home received a solid government inspection report this year as well. It earned a decent score in inspections with a B. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
D'youville Senior Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In D'youville Senior Care, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In D'youville Senior Care, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In D'youville Senior Care, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care patients which suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In D'youville Senior Care, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In D'youville Senior Care, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In D'youville Senior Care, 2.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In D'youville Senior Care, 91.39% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In D'youville Senior Care, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In D'youville Senior Care, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In D'youville Senior Care, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In D'youville Senior Care, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In D'youville Senior Care, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In D'youville Senior Care, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 13.41 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.48 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford3.82 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell4.59 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Davita Nashua Dialysis9.22 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc10.83 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC11.05 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire, Inc.12.11 miles away20 Cotton Road Suite 200 Nashua New Hampshire 03063Dialysis Stations: 21 (603) 577-4547
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home12.54 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley12.63 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900