Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a facility in Dyer, Indiana, which has 20,816 people. We gave this nursing home an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. Unfortunately, the city grade for Dyer isn't too much better. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to do better We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Neither this nursing home's overall grade nor its category scores gave us much to write home about. Its best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. When computing our nursing grades, we weigh both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is slightly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Unfortunately, this nursing home earned an F for its inspection rating. This is a particularly important category. Grades in this range typically point to some red flags on the nursing home's government inspection reports. For places with poor inspection grades, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular facility had a category G through L deficiency, which are among the more serious categories of deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies found by the government inspectors had the potential to create actual harm to residents. Lastly, we also want to point out that this place received significant government fines recently of more than $50,000. This usually indicates that government inspectors became frustrated after multiple years of bad inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development was the F this facility received in the category of short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be more meaningful for individuals needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.8 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this nursing home didn't perform well in this category either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 64.12698 percent of its patients. This is several points below what we expected. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which experienced UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.56% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- Munster Dialysis Center0.74 miles away10120 Calumet Avenue, Suite 102 Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 20 (219) 924-3972
- Fmc - Dyer1.91 miles away2150 Gettler Street, Suite 105 Dyer Indiana 46311Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 322-3710
- Davita - Munster2.04 miles away9100 Calumet Ave. Munster Indiana 46321CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 836-1299
- Fmc - Neomedica - Munster2.9 miles away314 Ridge Road Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 836-9317
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Hammond4.28 miles away7214 Calumet Avenue Hammond Indiana 46324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 228-4477
- Schererville Dialysis Center4.28 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448
- Fmc - Griffith4.72 miles away926 N. Broad Street Griffith Indiana 46319Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 838-7777
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland5 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700