Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a facility in Dyer, Indiana, which has 20,816 people. We gave this nursing home an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. At the end of the day, you would be better off to avoid of this nursing home. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next section.
Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Unfortunately, we didn't have many favorable things to say about this nursing home's overall score or its category scores. Its best category was nursing. Nevertheless, with a D in this area, it still performed poorly. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to note that this facility received an F for its long-term care score. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 60.85627 percent of its residents. This is several points below what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this nursing home's inspection grades where it received an F. This generally means we found some red flags on the inspection reports. For facilities with bad inspection ratings, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed one category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more serious categories of deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies uncovered by CMS had the potential to cause actual harm to patients. Lastly, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received significant government fines in recent years exceeding $50,000. This typically suggests that CMS inspectors became fed up after several years of failed inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care, in which this facility received a rock bottom grade here also. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is definitely very concerning. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is often a reliable assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Considering its weak score in this area, we weren't shocked to discover that this nursing home offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients which have pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents that are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- Munster Dialysis Center0.74 miles away10120 Calumet Avenue, Suite 102 Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 20 (219) 924-3972
- Fmc - Dyer1.91 miles away2150 Gettler Street, Suite 105 Dyer Indiana 46311Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 322-3710
- Davita - Munster2.04 miles away9100 Calumet Ave. Munster Indiana 46321CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 836-1299
- Fmc - Neomedica - Munster2.9 miles away314 Ridge Road Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 836-9317
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Hammond4.28 miles away7214 Calumet Avenue Hammond Indiana 46324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 228-4477
- Schererville Dialysis Center4.28 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448
- Fmc - Griffith4.72 miles away926 N. Broad Street Griffith Indiana 46319Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 838-7777
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland5 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700