Saint Clare's Dover Hospital is one of just a few available facilities in Dover, New Jersey. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some respectable scores. This facility has some things going for it. The best part of this place's profile was its remarkable inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Saint Clare's Dover Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
400 West Blackwell St,
Dover NJ 07801
84.64% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this place really excelled in the category of inspections, where it received a grade of A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we have deficiency data for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to point out that this nursing home was given impressive long-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our better grades in this category, with a B+. This turned out to be the facility's second best grade. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 94.117645 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Saint Clare's Dover Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third highest category is short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a C. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
The final area we analyzed is nursing. We gave this nursing home a D in our nursing category, making this the nursing home's worst grade. Nursing ratings are tied to quantity of nursing care available. With only 0.6 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Saint Clare's Dover Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Saint Clare's Dover Hospital, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Saint Clare's Dover Hospital, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Saint Clare's Dover Hospital, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Saint Clare's Dover Hospital, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Saint Clare's Dover Hospital, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Saint Clare's Dover Hospital, 5.95% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Saint Clare's Dover Hospital, 91.97% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
- Saint Clare's Hospital/ Denville CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away25 Pocono Road Denville New Jersey 07834Proprietary(973) 983-5569
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.89 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Hackettstown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.4 miles away651 Willow Grove St Hackettstown New Jersey 07840Voluntary non-profit - Church(908) 852-5100
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.89 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Newton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.17 miles away175 High St Newton New Jersey 07860Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 579-8300
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.43 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.58 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 17.88 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Fmc Dover0.11 miles away400 West Blackwell Street 2 West Dover New Jersey 07801Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 328-1812
- Fmc Kenvil2.27 miles away677 Route 46 Suite C Kenvil New Jersey 07847CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 252-1301
- Davita Renal Ctr Succasunna4.05 miles away175 Righter Road Succasunna New Jersey 07876Dialysis Stations: 12 (973) 584-3294
- Fmc Dial Assoc No Jersey Dc5.96 miles away2200 Route 10 West Suite 107 Parsippany New Jersey 07054CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 267-2009
- Davita Parsippany Dialysis8.24 miles away900 Lanidex Plaza Suite 120 Parsippany New Jersey 07054Dialysis Stations: 10 (973) 739-7080
- Davita Renal Ctr Morristown8.8 miles away100 Madison Avenue 4th Floor Morristown New Jersey 07960CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (973) 538-8201
- Fmc East Morris8.8 miles away55 Madison Avenue Ste 100 Morristown New Jersey 07960Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 993-8495
- Physicians Dialysis Hackettstown12.42 miles away657 Willow Grove Street Suite 202 West Wing Medical Plaza Hackettstown New Jersey 07840Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 684-0630