Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center is on a list of 22 options in Atlanta, Georgia. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A score in this range requires some respectable scores. Based on our assessment, there are certainly much worse places out there. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second most favorable area turned out to be short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category was long-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this category. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 99.09297 percent of its patients. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning to our next category, this facility didn't fare very well. Due to a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is this nursing home's weakest grade. In calculating a facility's nursing score, we look at the amount of time nurses are caring for patients and the levels of training of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients that sustained falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.23% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 18.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.48% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 5.43% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 93.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.54 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dunwoody Health and Rehabilitation Center, 69.88% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Atlanta, GA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Atlanta, Georgia has 21 other nursing homes
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away1000 Johnson Ferry Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 851-8000
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish RiteChildrens 0.11 miles away1001 Johnson Ferry Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Other(404) 785-5252
- Saint Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta, IncAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(678) 843-5720
- Peachford Behavioral Health System of AtlantaPsychiatric 3.55 miles away2151 Peachford Road Atlanta Georgia 30338Proprietary(770) 455-3200
- Piedmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away1968 Peachtree Rd Nw Atlanta Georgia 30309Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 605-5000
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at EglestonChildrens 7.96 miles away1405 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 785-6101
- Emory University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away1364 Clifton Road, Ne Atlanta Georgia 30322Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 686-8500
- Emory Decatur HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.83 miles away2701 N Decatur Road Decatur Georgia 30033Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 501-1000
- Davita North Atlanta Home Training0.1 miles away5775 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Ste c110 Atlanta Georgia 30342Dialysis Stations: 2 (404) 250-0925
- Lake Hearn Dialysis0.57 miles away1150 Lake Hearn Drive Suite 100 Atlanta Georgia 30342Dialysis Stations: 20 (404) 847-9850
- Fresenius Medical Care Perimeter0.7 miles away5825 Glenridge Drive Bldg 3 Suite 150 Atlanta Georgia 30328CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (404) 250-0058
- Pure Life Renal of Perimeter1.17 miles away6160 Peachtree Dunwoody Road Suite a-110 Atlanta Georgia 30328Dialysis Stations: 17 (954) 962-5733
- Emory Dialysis, LLC1.24 miles away5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Road Suite 501 Atlanta Georgia 30342Dialysis Stations: 1 (404) 778-8075
- Fmcna Sandy Springs4.5 miles away7840 Roswell Rd Bldg 200 Ste 210 Atlanta Georgia 30350Dialysis Stations: 21 (770) 604-3330
- Montreal Dialysis7.26 miles away1901 Montreal Road Tucker Georgia 30084Dialysis Stations: 13 (770) 938-9565
- Southern Lane Dialysis7.48 miles away1840 Southern Lane Decatur Georgia 30033Dialysis Stations: 16 (404) 325-8884