Dunmore Health Care Center is a nursing home in Scranton, Pennsylvania, which has a total of 100,355 people. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Scranton. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Dunmore Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid facilities that had a long list of deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's next most favorable score is short-term care. However, with a D in this category, it still performed somewhat badly. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. With a grade in this range for this category, we were not stunned to find this nursing home was well below average in several staffing figures we assess. In fact, it offered substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.8 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Dunmore Health Care Center?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. The nursing rating analyzes several subcategories, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is long-term care, in which this nursing home received a poor grade in this area also. It received a lowly F in this area, which is definitely very concerning. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes offer. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 85.77586 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dunmore Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that are given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 3.23% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 88.5% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dunmore Health Care Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Scranton, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Scranton, Pennsylvania has 10 other nursing homes
- Geisinger-Community Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.14 miles away1822 Mulberry Street Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 969-8240
- Moses Taylor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away700 Quincy Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Proprietary(570) 340-2100
- Regional Hospital of ScrantonAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away746 Jefferson Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18501Proprietary(570) 348-7100
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.36 miles away1000 East Mountain Boulevard Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18711Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 826-7300
- Wilkes-Barre General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.39 miles away575 North River Street Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18764Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 829-8111
- Dunmore Dialysis0.75 miles away1212 Oneal Highway Scranton Pennsylvania 18512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 558-0190
- Commonwealth Dialysis2.45 miles away920 S. Washington Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18505Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 344-5267
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc2.6 miles away321 Meridian Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18504Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 340-1648
- Scranton Dialysis4.17 miles awayRear 475 Morgan Highway Scranton Pennsylvania 18508Dialysis Stations: 14 (570) 341-8270
- Old Forge Dialysis6.34 miles away325 South Main Street Old Forge Pennsylvania 18518Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 457-3174
- Davita - Eynon Dialysis6.39 miles away260 Scranton Carbondale Highway Archbald Pennsylvania 18403Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 876-1874
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Pittston9.75 miles away455 North Main Street Pittston Pennsylvania 18640Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 655-4115
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilkes Barre14.96 miles away307 Laird Street, Suite 1 Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18702CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (570) 825-9531