Dunbar Health & Rehab Center is a facility located in Dayton, Ohio which has a total of 479,994 people. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a well below average nursing home. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 34 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Dunbar Health & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite minor. This nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded an impressive score in our short-term care category. We awarded this facility a better than average grade of B in that area. Our short-term care scores are arguably more meaningful for individuals requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Dunbar Health & Rehab Center?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. The nursing grade is based on quite a few components, most of which are based on nursing hours. This facility provided a meager 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed was long-term care. We gave it a lowly F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Facilities that do not fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility provided the vaccine to only 82.03125 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dunbar Health & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents which suffered a fall which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 20% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 90.19% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Dayton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Dayton, Ohio has 33 other nursing homes
- Grandview Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away405 Grand Avenue Dayton Ohio 45405Voluntary non-profit - Other(937) 723-3200
- Kettering Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away3535 Southern Boulevard Dayton Ohio 45429Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 395-8165
- Soin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away3535 Pentagon Park Blvd Dayton Ohio 45431Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 702-4000
- Sycamore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away4000 Miamisburg-Centerville Road Miamisburg Ohio 45342Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 384-8776
- Greene Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.78 miles away1141 North Monroe Drive Xenia Ohio 45385Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 352-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Dayton East0.28 miles away821 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. Dayton Ohio 45417Dialysis Stations: 21 (937) 222-5859
- Davita Mallory Park2.11 miles away2808 Germantown St Dayton Ohio 45417Dialysis Stations: 24 (937) 262-8427
- Davita - Home Dialysis of Dayton South2.62 miles away3030 S Dixie Drive Dayton Ohio 45409Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 296-1171
- Davita - Buckeye Dialysis3.25 miles away3050 S Dixie Dr Dayton Ohio 45409CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 643-2337
- Davita Dialysis Centers of Dayton East3.83 miles away1431 Business Center Court Dayton Ohio 45410Dialysis Stations: 15 (937) 252-1867
- Davita - Dayton East at Home3.83 miles away1431 Business Center Court, Ste B Dayton Ohio 45410Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 252-1867
- Davita - Dayton South Dialysis4.03 miles away4700 Springboro Pike Dayton Ohio 45439Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 294-7188
- Davita Five Rivers Dialysis4.68 miles away4750 N Main Street Dayton Ohio 45405Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 278-5139