Dunbar Health & Rehab Center is a facility located in Dayton, Ohio which has a total of 479,994 people. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a well below average nursing home. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 15 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Dunbar Health & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Dayton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite minor. This nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
This nursing home excelled in the category of nursing, where it earned an D. Our nursing score is mostly based on a facility's nurse staffing. With a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Dunbar Health & Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home just a D for our short-term care rating. This is not an impressive grade. Short-term care grades are typically employed to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last category, we gave this facility a grade of D for the area of long-term care. This is the nursing home's worst category rating. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category may not provide the kind of consistent 24/7 care that some other facilities provide. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated just 80.14706 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dunbar Health & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 19.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 1.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 0.74% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 5.21% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 32.79% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 0% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 85.91% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 13.08% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 13.05% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 13.05% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dunbar Health & Rehab Center, 84.78% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Dayton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Dayton, Ohio has 14 other nursing homes
- Grandview Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away405 Grand Avenue Dayton Ohio 45405Voluntary non-profit - Other(937) 723-3200
- Kettering Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away3535 Southern Boulevard Dayton Ohio 45429Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 395-8165
- Soin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away3535 Pentagon Park Blvd Dayton Ohio 45431Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 702-4000
- Sycamore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away4000 Miamisburg-Centerville Road Miamisburg Ohio 45342Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 384-8776
- Greene Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.78 miles away1141 North Monroe Drive Xenia Ohio 45385Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 352-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Dayton East0.28 miles away821 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. Dayton Ohio 45417Dialysis Stations: 21 (937) 222-5859
- Davita Mallory Park2.11 miles away2808 Germantown St Dayton Ohio 45417Dialysis Stations: 24 (937) 262-8427
- Davita - Home Dialysis of Dayton South2.62 miles away3030 S Dixie Drive Dayton Ohio 45409Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 296-1171
- Davita - Buckeye Dialysis3.25 miles away3050 S Dixie Dr Dayton Ohio 45409CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 643-2337
- Davita Dialysis Centers of Dayton East3.83 miles away1431 Business Center Court Dayton Ohio 45410Dialysis Stations: 15 (937) 252-1867
- Davita - Dayton East at Home3.83 miles away1431 Business Center Court, Ste B Dayton Ohio 45410Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 252-1867
- Davita - Dayton South Dialysis4.03 miles away4700 Springboro Pike Dayton Ohio 45439Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 294-7188
- Davita Five Rivers Dialysis4.68 miles away4750 N Main Street Dayton Ohio 45405Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 278-5139