Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward is an average-sized nursing home located in Hayward, California. It looks like this is a fine facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable rating. We found this nursing home to be better than most of the nursing homes in Hayward, which has a city grade of B-. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hayward senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a strong facility is that it received a very impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that area, we gave it an A-. Our inspection ratings are based on many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Among its many impressive scores, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in that area. Nursing scores are primarily based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this category. Our long-term care scores are more critical for residents in need of more conventional services associated with activities of daily living. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- for short-term care, which is generally a decent grade. In computing these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 2.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which experienced falls which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients which were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Driftwood Healthcare Center - Hayward, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 5 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.49 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 3.86 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.88 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Hayward Dialysis Center0.55 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.91 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.24 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis2.4 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro3.71 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center3.74 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro4.52 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Hayward4.53 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743