Driftwood Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home in Torrance, California. With an overall grade of B-, this is likely a solid nursing home. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. We were also pleased to discover that this place was consistent in all four of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Driftwood Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
4109 Emerald St,
Torrance CA 90503
83.43% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall grade, we also wanted to note that this facility received favorable nursing marks this year. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's top grade. The nursing rating is based on a handful of factors, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Shockingly, this nursing home actually earned a good grade in the area of inspections as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Driftwood Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this area. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most meaningful for those requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, we found that this nursing home provided respectable levels of physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it performed decently in this area, with 47.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of B- in that area. In the area of long-term care, we look at the quantity of care offered by a facility, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. One of the data points we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Unfortunately, this place's hospitalization rate was less favorable. Here we found that this facility had 2.39 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Driftwood Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents which developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 4.32% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High levels of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 96.21% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 2.3 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.54 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.73 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis0.14 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis0.19 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center0.4 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program1.47 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care Redondo Beach Dialysis1.5 miles away514 N. Prospect Avenue Redondo Beach California 90277Dialysis Stations: 7 (310) 379-6671
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis1.66 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis2.11 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis3.64 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180