Driftwood Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Torrance, California. This facility received an overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. This was not the worse nursing home we found, however, we would still struggle to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Driftwood Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Torrance senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to point out its much more favorable nursing score this year. We gave it a respectable grade of B in this area, which was much better than its overall score. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest area ended up being its long-term care score, where it was given a grade of C. Our long-term care grade is commonly used to grade a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a skilled nursing facility. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is an above average figure. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Driftwood Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest category is short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our short-term care scores are thought to be more important for individuals in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. The facility supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The last metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Unfortunately, this nursing home did not receive a favorable inspection grade. We gave it a just D in this category. Inspection ratings relate to a nursing home's inspections. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home had 7 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, we also need to point out that this facility was assessed large government fines exceeding $50,000. This usually signifies that government inspectors became fed up after several years of bad health inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Driftwood Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients that have experienced a fall which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Driftwood Healthcare Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 2.3 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.54 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.73 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis0.14 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis0.19 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center0.4 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program1.47 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care Redondo Beach Dialysis1.5 miles away514 N. Prospect Avenue Redondo Beach California 90277Dialysis Stations: 7 (310) 379-6671
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis1.66 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis2.11 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis3.64 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180