With an address in Downey, California, Downey Community Health Center is one of only three available facilities in this city. This is not a bad nursing home with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Downey. You could certainly do worse than this place. This nursing home did not fare well in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Downey Community Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Downey senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this nursing home's nursing grade outpaced its overall score. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for its nursing grade, which is one of our better scores. There are several factors included in this category. Many of the datapoints reflect nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a favorable grade in long-term care. This facility received a B+ in this area, which happens to be one of our higher scores. Facilities that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.832214 percent of its patients, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Downey Community Health Center?
This nursing home's inspection grade appears to be one of its best features. The facility received a grade of C in this category. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but fortunately none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This indicates it avoided the more serious classes of deficiencies. We really didn't find anything on this facility's inspection reports to be overly concerning.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded was short-term care, which was a low point for this facility. We awarded this facility a grade of just D in our short-term care category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Based on its poor score in this area, we weren't surprised to discover this place provides substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Downey Community Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Downey Community Health Center, 5.51% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Downey Community Health Center, 1.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Downey Community Health Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Downey Community Health Center, 2.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Downey Community Health Center, 15.97% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Downey Community Health Center, 3.57% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Downey Community Health Center, 99.27% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Downey Community Health Center, 9.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Downey Community Health Center, 3.88% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Downey Community Health Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Downey Community Health Center, 3.88% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Downey Community Health Center, 6.29% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Downey Community Health Center, 83.53% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis0.1 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center0.54 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center1.09 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey1.38 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate2.12 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Fmc-Bellflower2.57 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita South Gate Dialysis2.8 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center3.01 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333