With an address in Downey, California, Downey Community Health Center is one of four facilities in this area. This isn't a bad facility with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Downey. You could definitely do worse than this facility. This place didn't excel in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Downey Community Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
8425 Iowa Street,
Downey CA 90241
93.73% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care score is notably more impressive than its overall grade. Due to a strong performance in this category, it received one of our higher grades in that area with a B. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an B. Our nursing rating is primarily based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Downey Community Health Center?
This nursing home received its third best category grade in the area of inspections. Inspection ratings are based on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. We awarded this nursing home a C in this area. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in categories G through L. This indicates that inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. We didn't consider anything on this facility's inspection report to be overly concerning.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area was short-term care, which is the last area we assessed. For this area, we awarded this facility a D. In our short-term care grade, we attempt to craft a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Based on its score in this area, we weren't stunned to find that this place is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the figures we assessed. The last item we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Downey Community Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Downey Community Health Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Downey Community Health Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Downey Community Health Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who had a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Downey Community Health Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Downey Community Health Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Downey Community Health Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Downey Community Health Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Downey Community Health Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Downey Community Health Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
In Downey Community Health Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Downey Community Health Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Downey Community Health Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Downey Community Health Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Downey, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Downey, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis0.1 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center0.54 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center1.09 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey1.38 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate2.12 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Fmc-Bellflower2.57 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita South Gate Dialysis2.8 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center3.01 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333