Downey Community Health Center is a large nursing home located in Downey, California. This isn't a high quality nursing home with a D overall grade. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Downey. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Downey. The city has just three other nursing homes. The only positive thing we can really say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about these categories is available below.
Downey Community Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Downey Community Health Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't rate this facility well overall, we want to acknowledge it received a decent grade of B- in the category of nursing. We analyzed the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in determining our grade in this area. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more respectable category grades was in the category of short-term care. This ended up being its second most favorable category. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most critical for patients in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing. This means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Downey Community Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third most favorable category we gave this facility in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Our long-term care scores are more important for folks in need of more traditional assistance associated with personal care. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. This place keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last category we looked at is inspections. This score is based on the facility's recent inspections. We awarded it a C in this area. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in categories G through L. This tells you it dodged the more significant categories of deficiencies. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Downey Community Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Downey Community Health Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Downey Community Health Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients which have had falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Downey Community Health Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Downey Community Health Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Downey Community Health Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Downey Community Health Center, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Downey Community Health Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Downey Community Health Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Downey Community Health Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Downey Community Health Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Downey Community Health Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Downey Community Health Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Downey Community Health Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Downey, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Downey, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis0.1 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center0.54 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center1.09 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey1.38 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate2.12 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Fmc-Bellflower2.57 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita South Gate Dialysis2.8 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center3.01 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333