Downey Care Center is a nursing home located in Downey, California, a city with a total of 111,772 people. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. Unfortunately, this grade isn't too far off the city grade for Downey, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to find a better option More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Downey Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Downey senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we didn't rate this facility favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable long-term care grade this year. We gave it a B in this area, which was much better than its overall grade. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.05 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an B-. There are many factors included in this grade. Most of these criteria relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Downey Care Center?
This facility earned mediocre government inspections in recent years. We awarded them a C in this category. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This facility had 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in category J, K or L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to place resident safety or health in imminent harm or jeopardy. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed is short-term care. This facility received a grade of C for the category. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is more often than not a fair assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Downey Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Downey Care Center, 5.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents which developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Downey Care Center, 0.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Downey Care Center, 1% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which have suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Downey Care Center, 2.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Downey Care Center, 16.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Downey Care Center, 35.1% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Downey Care Center, 100% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Downey Care Center, 7.48% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Downey Care Center, 5.65% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Downey Care Center, 0.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Downey Care Center, 5.65% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Downey Care Center, 7.98% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Downey Care Center, 92.34% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.21 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey1.53 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis1.85 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center1.88 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center1.98 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center2 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita South Gate Dialysis2.17 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate2.36 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Davita-Artesia Home Training2.49 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084