Downey Care Center is a nursing home located in Downey, California, a city with a total of 111,772 people. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. Sadly, this grade was right in line with the city grade in Downey, which is also very poor. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Downey Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to point out its decent grade of B- in the category of long-term care. Long-term care grades are used to judge a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. This facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
We also awarded this facility a grade of C for our nursing rating. Nursing ratings are largely tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Downey Care Center?
This nursing home received slightly below average inspections in recent years. We gave them a C in this area. Inspection scores are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This nursing home had 10 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but fortunately none were in categories J through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to place patient safety or health in immediate harm or jeopardy. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this facility really did not perform very well here either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is really as bad as it gets. Our short-term care grades are considered to be most important for folks requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its abysmal rating in this area, we weren't shocked to find this nursing home provides substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Downey Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Downey Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents which developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Downey Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Downey Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which have suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Downey Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Downey Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Downey Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Downey Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Downey Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Downey Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Downey Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Downey Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Downey Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Downey Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Downey, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Downey, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.21 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey1.53 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis1.85 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center1.88 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center1.98 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center2 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita South Gate Dialysis2.17 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate2.36 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Davita-Artesia Home Training2.49 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084