Don Orione Nursing Home is a large facility located in Boston, Massachusetts. With an overall rating of D, this is a subpar facility. Keep in mind that Boston received a city grade of B, so should look at other options in the city as well. The only positive thing we can say about this place is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Don Orione Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Don Orione Nursing Home has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this facility well overall, we would like to note its decent inspections in recent years. We gave it a somewhat respectable score of B- in this area. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing rating is largely based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below the national average. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this subcategory. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving residents even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Don Orione Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this area. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is typically a meaningful assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth area, this facility received a respectable long-term care score of B-. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated a relatively low 84.27835 percent of its patients. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Don Orione Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 6.29 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Massachusetts General Hospital3.51 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. (Dci Boston)4.04 miles away35 Kneeland Street 5th Floor Boston Massachusetts 02111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 636-6389
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.72 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Boston Dialysis4.99 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Dci Ball Square5.32 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center5.42 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)5.47 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Brigham and Women's Hospital5.6 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130