Don Orione Nursing Home is a large facility located in Boston, Massachusetts. With an overall rating of B+, this is a high quality facility. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all nursing homes in the United States. This facility also received phenomenal grades in all of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Don Orione Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Boston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. There are numerous subcategories included in this area. Many of the subcategories reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this nursing home also received top notch inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an B+. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Don Orione Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a strong short-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B+. Short-term care scores are meaningful for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we assessed, this facility received a very favorable grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this score, the facility completed a very impressive profile. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 88.888885 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Don Orione Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 9.52% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 2.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which sustained falls leading to major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 3.5% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that have suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 15.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 14.82% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 0.87% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 87.75% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 10.53% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 9.7% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels.
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 9.7% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 9.96% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Don Orione Nursing Home, 60.75% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 6.29 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Massachusetts General Hospital3.51 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. (Dci Boston)4.04 miles away35 Kneeland Street 5th Floor Boston Massachusetts 02111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 636-6389
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.72 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Boston Dialysis4.99 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Dci Ball Square5.32 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center5.42 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)5.47 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Brigham and Women's Hospital5.6 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130