Diversicare of Southaven is a large nursing home located in Southaven, Mississippi. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Southaven. The city has just one other nursing home. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Diversicare of Southaven
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall grade, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the category of inspections, where it earned a B+. Inspection scores are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest area is long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. With our long-term care rating, we look at the sheer volume of services offered by a facility, along with a handful of quality statistics. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 76.05263 percent of its residents. This is many points below average. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Diversicare of Southaven?
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F in this area, which is a very poor grade. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. With a score of this caliber for this category, we were not shocked to learn this place was below average in the two key staffing figures we focus on. The nursing home supplied far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. The final measure we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Diversicare of Southaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Diversicare of Southaven, 10.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Diversicare of Southaven, 3.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Diversicare of Southaven, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Diversicare of Southaven, 20.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Diversicare of Southaven, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Diversicare of Southaven, 2.34% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Diversicare of Southaven, 93.38% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Diversicare of Southaven, 19.45% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Diversicare of Southaven, 23.26% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Diversicare of Southaven, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Diversicare of Southaven, 23.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Diversicare of Southaven, 13.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Diversicare of Southaven, 68.23% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 11.47 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 11.79 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.86 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.21 miles away4250 Bethel Road Olive Branch Mississippi 38654Voluntary non-profit - Private(662) 932-9000
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.36 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 16.38 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Rcg Southaven1.52 miles away7318 Southcrest Pkwy Southaven Mississippi 38671CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (662) 349-2548
- Fmc South Airways, LLC2.63 miles away5484 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 29 (901) 345-5755
- Deschutes Dialysis, LLC2.97 miles away5247 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 345-0671
- Fmc Graceland3.66 miles away1200 Farrow Street Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (901) 398-1163
- Davita State Line3.76 miles away2049 E Shelby Drive Memphis Tennessee 38119CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (901) 348-1931
- Dsi Memphis LLC3.92 miles away4711 Neely Road Memphis Tennessee 38109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 789-2290
- Memphis South Dialysis4.34 miles away1205 Marlin Road Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 346-6637
- Nra-Memphis (South)4.39 miles away4185 Pace Rd Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (901) 345-8649