Diversicare of Southaven is a large nursing home located in Southaven, Mississippi. This nursing home is a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. In our view, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. The best part of this facility's report card is is its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Diversicare of Southaven
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection score. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave it an A-. Inspection ratings are based on pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was given positive long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in this category, with a grade of B. This turned out to be the nursing home's second strongest score. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 71.21212 percent of its patients. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Diversicare of Southaven?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing rating. In fact, we gave this facility an D. The nursing grade includes quite a few subcategories, however, the main one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was short-term care. We gave it an F for this area, which is a poor score. This is clearly a major disappointment. Short-term care grades are meaningful for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With a score of this caliber for this category, we were not shocked to learn that this place was below average in multiple staffing metrics we assess. The nursing home supplied substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Diversicare of Southaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Diversicare of Southaven, 10.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Diversicare of Southaven, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Diversicare of Southaven, 3.03% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Diversicare of Southaven, 20.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Diversicare of Southaven, 22.76% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Diversicare of Southaven, 2.3% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Diversicare of Southaven, 93.75% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Diversicare of Southaven, 18.95% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Diversicare of Southaven, 20.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Diversicare of Southaven, 1.95 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Diversicare of Southaven, 20.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Diversicare of Southaven, 13.63 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Diversicare of Southaven, 69.18% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 11.47 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 11.79 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.86 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.21 miles away4250 Bethel Road Olive Branch Mississippi 38654Voluntary non-profit - Private(662) 932-9000
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.36 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 16.38 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Rcg Southaven1.52 miles away7318 Southcrest Pkwy Southaven Mississippi 38671CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (662) 349-2548
- Fmc South Airways, LLC2.63 miles away5484 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 29 (901) 345-5755
- Deschutes Dialysis, LLC2.97 miles away5247 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 345-0671
- Fmc Graceland3.66 miles away1200 Farrow Street Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (901) 398-1163
- Davita State Line3.76 miles away2049 E Shelby Drive Memphis Tennessee 38119CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (901) 348-1931
- Dsi Memphis LLC3.92 miles away4711 Neely Road Memphis Tennessee 38109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 789-2290
- Memphis South Dialysis4.34 miles away1205 Marlin Road Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 346-6637
- Nra-Memphis (South)4.39 miles away4185 Pace Rd Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (901) 345-8649