Diversicare of Providence is a senior living facility located in New Albany, Indiana, a city with a total of 47,472 people. This facility is a relatively poor nursing home. A grade of this caliber indicates we found a few red flags. Based on our assessment, we would be very reluctant to recommend this place. The best thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Diversicare of Providence
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Diversicare of Providence has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall grade, it did receive a respectable nursing grade of B-. In computing our nursing scores, we look at both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is well below average. Finally, although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest category came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. Our short-term care scores are likely most important for residents requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Diversicare of Providence?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next best category is long-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this area. Our long-term care scores are more meaningful for people requiring more conventional assistance associated with personal care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.723755 percent of its residents. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Lastly, this nursing home received a C. Inspection grades relate to a facility's inspections. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. This place was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Diversicare of Providence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Diversicare of Providence, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Diversicare of Providence, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Diversicare of Providence, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents that sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Diversicare of Providence, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Diversicare of Providence, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Diversicare of Providence, 12.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Diversicare of Providence, 91.48% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Diversicare of Providence, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Diversicare of Providence, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Diversicare of Providence, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Diversicare of Providence, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Diversicare of Providence, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Diversicare of Providence, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for New Albany, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? New Albany, Indiana has 5 other nursing homes
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 4.48 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 7.97 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.43 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 12.2 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Fmc - Floyd County2.23 miles away807 Talaina Place New Albany Indiana 47150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (812) 944-3265
- Fmc - Southern Indiana4.16 miles away810 Eastern Blvd Clarksville Indiana 47129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (812) 288-7638
- Bio-Medical Applications of Indiana4.49 miles away5526 E. Highway 62 Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 17 (812) 288-1026
- Davita - Spring Street5.44 miles away1601 Spring Street Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 13 (812) 284-2098
- Davita - Jeffersonville Dialysis6.26 miles away365 Quarter Master Court Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 12 (812) 288-2296
- Davita Portland Dialysis6.39 miles away2118 Portland Ave Louisville Kentucky 40212Dialysis Stations: 13 (502) 776-4371
- Fmc - Louisville7.46 miles away720 East Broadway Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 584-3021
- Fmc - West Louisville7.73 miles away2600 West Broadway Suite 112 Louisville Kentucky 40211Dialysis Stations: 18 (502) 772-7363