Diversicare of Providence is a senior living facility located in New Albany, Indiana, a city with a total of 47,472 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some decent marks. This nursing home has some things working in its favor. This place did not fare well in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Diversicare of Providence
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on New Albany senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home earned a short-term care grade which is better than its overall grade. We awarded this nursing home a B in this category. Our short-term care scores are vital for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home also received a strong grade in our nursing category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. The nursing score features a host of datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Diversicare of Providence?
We also found that this nursing home has earned favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we awarded it a B- in this category. This is better than many nursing homes in this category. Our inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, which ended up being a low point for this facility. We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care category. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinates 97.71167 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Diversicare of Providence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Diversicare of Providence, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Diversicare of Providence, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Diversicare of Providence, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Diversicare of Providence, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Diversicare of Providence, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Diversicare of Providence, 14.48% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Diversicare of Providence, 91.03% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Diversicare of Providence, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Diversicare of Providence, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who remained mobile levels.
In Diversicare of Providence, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Diversicare of Providence, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Diversicare of Providence, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Diversicare of Providence, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 4.48 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 7.97 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.43 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 12.2 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Fmc - Floyd County2.23 miles away807 Talaina Place New Albany Indiana 47150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (812) 944-3265
- Fmc - Southern Indiana4.16 miles away810 Eastern Blvd Clarksville Indiana 47129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (812) 288-7638
- Bio-Medical Applications of Indiana4.49 miles away5526 E. Highway 62 Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 17 (812) 288-1026
- Davita - Spring Street5.44 miles away1601 Spring Street Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 13 (812) 284-2098
- Davita - Jeffersonville Dialysis6.26 miles away365 Quarter Master Court Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 12 (812) 288-2296
- Davita Portland Dialysis6.39 miles away2118 Portland Ave Louisville Kentucky 40212Dialysis Stations: 13 (502) 776-4371
- Fmc - Louisville7.46 miles away720 East Broadway Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 584-3021
- Fmc - West Louisville7.73 miles away2600 West Broadway Suite 112 Louisville Kentucky 40211Dialysis Stations: 18 (502) 772-7363