Diversicare of Bessemer is located in Bessemer, Alabama, a city with 71,463 people. This is a very respectable facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. This should be on your short list in Bessemer as we ranked it as one of the three best nursing homes in the city. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Diversicare of Bessemer
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home also earned first-rate health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best grades in that category, with an A-. Inspection grades are based on pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility really excelled in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Few facilities performed more favorably in this area. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 74.45415 percent of its patients. This is a bit less than we were hoping for. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Diversicare of Bessemer?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. The nursing rating weighs numerous subcategories. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. This is a fair grade in this area. Short-term care grades are typically used to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Diversicare of Bessemer Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 19.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 23.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 1.35% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 91.96% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 13.45% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 18.12% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 18.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 11.48 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Diversicare of Bessemer, 72.53% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Bessemer, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bessemer, Alabama has 4 other nursing homes
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.36 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.9 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.07 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 14.28 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 14.41 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.56 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 15.23 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Bessemer Kidney Center0.27 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Jewel Dialysis1.67 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Bessemer Dialysis2.09 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC2.7 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis5.81 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Fmc Fairfield (Steel City)8.41 miles away6508 E. J. Oliver Blvd Fairfield Alabama 35064Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 780-5122
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC10.23 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Ensley Dialysis10.86 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371