Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver is located in the large metropolitan area of Vancouver, Washington. It looks like this nursing home is among the best facilities we assessed. This nursing home received one of the most impressive grades we offer. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it ahead of the majority of the facilities in Vancouver, which boasts a decent selection of nursing homes. If you scroll down, you will see this nursing home's category grades, which are also strong.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Vancouver senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Vancouver, Washington Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Vancouver, Washington Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility has earned nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area tend to have very few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate profile, this nursing home also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for the area. In computing these short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A- in our nursing category. We weighed the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with patients, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, this facility was given a highly favorable long-term care grade. We awarded it a grade of B+ in that area, rounding out one of our more impressive profiles. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 99.36306 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 7.46% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 2.29% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who have suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 13.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents that were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 12.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 13.28% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 92.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 14.67% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 18.81% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 18.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 12.21 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 75.22% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Vancouver, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Vancouver, Washington has 5 other nursing homes
- Legacy Salmon Creek Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away2211 Ne 139th Street Vancouver Washington 98686Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 487-1000
- Peacehealth Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away400 Ne Mother Joseph Place Vancouver Washington 98668Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 256-2000
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.72 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 11.66 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.67 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Pnrs Salmon Creek1.93 miles away9105 Highway 99 Ste 102 Vancouver Washington 98665CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (360) 576-1350
- Vancouver Dialysis Center4.29 miles away9120 Ne Vancouver Mall Dr Suite 160 Vancouver Washington 98682CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (360) 891-5777
- Rose City Dialysis LLC5.85 miles away7474 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97211Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 737-1020
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC7.14 miles away4905 Ne Martin Luther King Blvd Portland Oregon 97211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (503) 288-7020
- Pnrs Ft Vancouver7.54 miles away312 Se Stonemill Dr Suite 150 Vancouver Washington 98684CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (360) 254-2323
- Portland Mlk Dialysis8.38 miles away2737 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97212Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 282-1253
- Northeast Portland Renal Center8.66 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322
- Pnrs Home Dialysis8.78 miles away2701 Nw Vaughn St., Ste. 150 Portland Oregon 97201Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 205-0320