Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver is located in the large metropolitan area of Vancouver, Washington. It looks like this nursing home is among the more impressive facilities we looked at. A score in this range requires high-end scores across the board. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it substantially ahead of most of the nursing homes in Vancouver. If you scroll down, you can see this place's category ratings, which are also strong.
Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Vancouver, Washington Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Vancouver, Washington Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this facility also received a nearly flawless inspection report. Consequently, it received one of our best scores in that category with an A+. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A- in our nursing category. Our nursing grade is largely associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a impressive short-term care score. Indeed, this is this facility's third best category grade. In that area, this facility received a grade of A-. Our short-term care grades are probably most important for residents in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional highly-skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care, in which this nursing home was awarded a grade of B. While this turned out to be its least impressive category rating, this is nevertheless a quality score. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.487434 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 13.74% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 93.71% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 21.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Discovery Nursing & Rehab of Vancouver, 74.42% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Vancouver, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Vancouver, Washington has 5 other nursing homes
- Legacy Salmon Creek Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away2211 Ne 139th Street Vancouver Washington 98686Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 487-1000
- Peacehealth Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away400 Ne Mother Joseph Place Vancouver Washington 98668Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 256-2000
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.72 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 11.66 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.67 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Pnrs Salmon Creek1.93 miles away9105 Highway 99 Ste 102 Vancouver Washington 98665CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (360) 576-1350
- Vancouver Dialysis Center4.29 miles away9120 Ne Vancouver Mall Dr Suite 160 Vancouver Washington 98682CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (360) 891-5777
- Rose City Dialysis LLC5.85 miles away7474 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97211Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 737-1020
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC7.14 miles away4905 Ne Martin Luther King Blvd Portland Oregon 97211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (503) 288-7020
- Pnrs Ft Vancouver7.54 miles away312 Se Stonemill Dr Suite 150 Vancouver Washington 98684CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (360) 254-2323
- Portland Mlk Dialysis8.38 miles away2737 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97212Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 282-1253
- Northeast Portland Renal Center8.66 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322
- Pnrs Home Dialysis8.78 miles away2701 Nw Vaughn St., Ste. 150 Portland Oregon 97201Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 205-0320